Help identifying a wasp please

Page 1 of 2
I'm in Southern NH, current temp about 65, cool, breezy and storm on it's way.
Today I found a wasp nest, with wasps, unlike anything I've ever seen. First, I actual had pulled on the stem it was on and only found the wasps when I grabbed to pull it off. There were at least 6-7 wasps seemingly unconcerned by my presence. Didn't get buzzed, stung, what ever.
They were small - at most 3/4 of an inch and could be closer to a half inch. The nest/comb was flat, at this point about 3.5 inches across and the cells were definitely on the small side and the nest was about the silver brown color of dried leaves (which is why I grabbed there in the first place). I know yellow jacket nests well - this was not a yellow jack nest.
Standard black and yellow coloration - other than the size, nothing stood out. Mind you, I wasn't going to stick around and take notes. Though I did continue working right around the area.
Thoughts ? Please and thank you
Cheryl
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Sorry NH doesn't mean much to me
David
On 7/24/09 6:36 AM, in article h4c2qn$slp$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net, "David

New Hampshire = sorry
David Hare-Scott wrote:

I'm assuming that New Hampshire USA, is similar to Hampshire England, only newer. ;-)
Jeff

Maybe like this?
http://zootal.com/images/paperwasp2.jpg
Paper wasps build nests like that, and most of them are quite gentle. The one in the above is an european paper wasp, and is about 3/4 inch in length. The newly hatches ones are about 1/2 inch or so. When they fly, you can see the legs hanging down. There are smaller varieties as well. They tend to be quite gentle, but poke the nest enough and they might zap you a few times.
Can you get a picture of them?
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:33:17 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
<snip>

Lots of wasps Cheryl... You can try poking around the What's that Bug site and see if anything looks familiar:
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/category/hornets-and-wasps /
Some cool images to browse if nothing else :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Neat site. I'm thinking of calling the extension service on Monday for help. After all, I do pay my taxes...
Cheryl
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 09:00:22 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
<snip>

FWIW one of the local extension services in my area use to handle calls like this via Master Gardener volunteers. It was one of the niftier things for them, per a Master Gardener trainee I once knew. You wouldn't believe the stuff people call in/ask questions about.
I've been reading your posts for years now and there is a really good chance that you will know more about this than the people you are planning to call ;-)
No harm in trying though...
Several pictures of the nest and in situ would be really helpful. I couldn't fully grok what this thing looked like from your description.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

I realized, while out among the daylilies today, that I had the prefect resource - a fellow daylily nut that has a Ph.D in bugs! I'm going to try and take a few pictures in the AM and mail them off to him.
Actually, I might try after dinner. Warmer today here and still not aggressive.
Cheryl

La di dah, an Entomologist... how come we don't merit pictures... whadda we, chopped liver? :-(

Talking about yourself in the plural, shelly? So does that prove that you are schizo, or do you just need another suck on the bottle? You've burned everybody out. You're the dirty bum on the corner that no one wants to make eye contact with. You're a self made loner, congrats. You are as popular as a flat tire. You will never see the day that you are worth as much as chopped liver. Now, just go back to your fantasy (psychotic or alcohol induced) and STFU.
--

- Billy

Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common
On 7/25/09 7:48 PM, in article 2RMam.1233$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net,

Can't post to the binary groups, no access.
And it's a moot point as the resident skunk or local raccoon got the nest last night.
Cheryl

Don't need any stinkin' binary group: http://tinypic.com/
On 7/26/09 9:47 AM, in article x7Zam.1296$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net,

As I said - moot point - nest got eaten....

Your moot needs to get eaten.
On 7/26/09 10:24 AM, in article rGZam.1059$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net,

I don't often flame,
BUT
Sheldon - first go back to school and learn to use a dictionary
Second
FUCK OFF - I'd have said buzz off but you are a lower life form than a gnat
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 18:30:26 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
<snip>

Here is another site that has pretty decent photos:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/384/bgimage?from=0
maybe this one in particular (Species Polistes fuscatus - Northern Paper Wasp):
http://bugguide.net/node/view/14227/bgimage
This website has a better description for same:
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Polistes_fuscatus.html
There are quite a few entries in the Genus Polistes. See:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/572/tree
Not all of the Paper Wasps are particularly aggressive.
The purported "yellow-jackets" are a numerous Genus too. See some of the possibilities here:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/554/tree
Hopefully this will give you a better idea of why a picture of the nest and detail of a specimen would be helpful :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

I fully realize a picture is worth a thousand words. I do wish that a resident critter could have waited until tonight to eat the nest.
Talking with my daylily buddy - most likely a paper wasp, we just don't know which one. The complete docility was what was so amazing to me; even with me about to yank the nest, no stings, no buzzing - nothing! Even he was surprised by that.
I also realize Sheldon is a wart on the backside of this group.
Cheryl
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 16:25:23 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
<snip>

We have the "Polistes dominula - European Paper Wasp" here now. Don't remember them being around when I was a kid. From what I can tell/surmise they weren't. Introduced, started on the east coast and have been moving inland. More rapidly the past few years.
I rub these out pretty regular around the place, where they could be troublesome that is. They haven't stung me yet, I've given them good opportunities too. The ground nesting Yellow-jackets that look very similar are another story. They get pissed if you just stand by their nest a bit too long. See:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/5081
They're suppose to have kinda orange antenna, which is a good ID from what I could figure out. Well, maybe next time you will be able to take a few more notes before high-tailing it away ;-)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

At least I'm not a wart on your moot... the stench! LOL
You didn't see any nest, or knowing you were going to post for an ID you would have taken a picture immediately. And when those nests are constructed the insects secret a toxic substance that repels other critters, so it was not eaten, it simply blew away with the wind.