Help ID this flower

It's a tall tropical looking flower that I've seen planted in the center of dome-shaped flower beds in city parkettes (Toronto). The flowers are delicate looking red-orange, on a long stalk, (like calla-lily) with long, deep-green leaves that "go up" (ie they don't flop over). It's not a calla-lily because it doesn't have stamen showing.

They seem to be used by the city and also apartment buildings for height and colour in the center of the annual flower beds.

Reply to
Greg Miller

Sounds like Canna, a summer flowering tuber that can be grown much like a dahlia.

very long link - make sure you get it all)

They really like moist soils and can be grown as a pond plant, but are perfectly well adapted to regular garden soil. Where you can overwinter dahlias in ground you can do the same with cannas. Otherwise, dig after first frost and store the tubers over winter. They make a really nice container plant, too. Also available with colored and/or variegated foliage and a wide assortment of flower colors.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Canna lily perhaps? sed5555

Reply to
Sed5555

Could it be this?

jojo

Indeed, Canna lily. Thank you for the ID! Definitely will use some in next year's annual beds.

Reply to
Greg Miller

Great plant, lots of color and drama with little effort or expense. For the record, it is just a canna, not a canna lily although many people call it that. This is a good source for cannas:

Vox Humana

Canna are actually closely allied to the Gingers and not at all to true Lilies.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

It's " I. Canna " and can be grown in many areas but come from the sub tropics.

snipped-for-privacy@domeus.co.uk

The oldest ( 10 years ) E-mail list for canna growers.

starlord

Close relatives of the bananna, too?

Reply to
Vox Humana

Canna, bananas and prayer plants were originally included in the same family with the gingers.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Reply to
Cindy

Why do you ask? I never claimed that a particular website was connected to terrorism.

Reply to
Vox Humana