help ID the giant spiders in my garden!

Does anybody know what kind of spider this is?
http://www.reddawn.net/temp/Dscn1078.jpg
That pic is only slightly larger than real life, btw. Spider is a good 2" across.
He's camped in the middle of my brussels sprouts. Got a big web about a foot and a half across. Looks like he's been eating well. My garden is in Missouri, near Kansas City.
Dawn

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/black_and_yellow_argiope.htm
Frank Logullo wrote:
>>Does anybody know what kind of spider this is?

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/black_and_yellow_argiope.htm
Cool! Thanks!
Dawn

Nice one!
On 8/23/05 2:43 PM, in article t7KOe.456$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny, "Doug Kanter"

That is handsome fellow (more likely gal). I'm looking forward to an ID since I have them too!
Cheryl
In article snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net says...

Don't female spiders kill and eat the male right after they mate?
says...

not always. usually they do, but there are variations between spiders & some males are faster than others ;)
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

Spiders typically eat other "bad" insects.
Suzy O

Suzy O wrote:

Oh, no, she had herself a nice wide web with lots of caught bugs bundled up. I'm sure she wasn't eating the sprouts. There's lots of other stuff doing that. :)
Dawn
When I replied, I thought you were saying "she" was eating your brussel sprouts. Now that I'm clear on what you meant, we agree -- she's eating insects, and that's a good thing. Suzy O