Help ID a weed with large yellow berries in NY state

Since it's November, there are no leaves on this plant, but I found it while searching for bittersweet in vacant land. It has striking yellow berries about half an inch across -- the plant grows 2-3 feet tall. It is not a vine.
When I cut open a berry, it was like a hard waxy little tomato loaded with white seeds in clear jelly. We're in NY state. I wonder if it is a type of wild nightshade or tomato. I'll follow up on any suggestions. We want to use the fruit to decorate wreaths for display and if it's toxic I'll have to keep it well away from kids. Thank you. Chris
I just noticed there are tiny thorns on the lower stems, also. This may help someone come up with the name .... thanks!
Horse Nettle And it is solanaceous
Looked it up and saw photos; right you are. I just threw out about a pound of those highly toxic berries. We'll use something else colorful on our Christmas decorations! It would be impossible to make sure a child wouldn't get hold of one, if it fell off of a wreath or something. Thank you.
snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com wrote:

Takes forever to get rid of too so be careful where you toss the waste.