Help! Hurt bird of paradise!

Page 1 of 2
I have owned a bird of paradise for about two years. It is about five feet tall and has about half a dozen large leaves, with another half dozen small leaves near the bottom. Since I got the plant, I've taken good care of it and it appears healthy, sprouting up a new leaf about every 4 months.
My problem is that a friend was here, a clutzy friend, and he fell on my bird of paradise. FELL ON THE DARN THING. So he bent almost all of the stalks; they snapped like twigs. I couldn't believe it. All of my big beautiful bird of paradise leaves, now sagging and resting on the floor. Even though the inside supporting material snapped, the outer "skin" remains intact. I quickly hijacked some poles from my rubber tree and carefully used them to prop up my bird of paradise's damaged stalks...hoping they will restore like broken bones.
My question is, will the plant ever heal? If so, how long would it take? If not, what should I do? I'm considering just pruning off the bent stalks, but that would be like starting over with it. Even though I haven't had it very long, I'd like to keep it instead of having to buy a new one.
thanks for any advice,
phil (phrom san phrancisco)
p.s. my rubber plant, newly liberated from its poles, is quite enjoying its freedom.
On 23 Jan 2004 01:00:41 -0800, rdnzl snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Phil) wrote:

Cut off the bent stalks as close to soil level as you can to keep the over all look of the plant remains healthy. They won't heal. Yes it will be like starting all over, but in the two years you've had it the root mass has grown so it won't take two years for it to be as lovely as it was. As soon as the days get longer and warmer it will start pushing out a bunch of new growth. Probably by fall weather you will be pleased with its recovery.
zhan
Yeah, if I had a friend that was that clumsy, I would demand the klutz pay for the damages and the dude forever be in debt to make up for what he did. I would have taken the jerk's wallet out of his pocket and taken all his cash as a down payment for the irreparable damage done. Was the dimwit drunk when he fell on the plant or is he just a complete idiot? I might even have beaten the crap out of him too (just as a down payment reminder)!!
(Phil) wrote:

This is pretty freakin' hilarious, especially if you consider that this "friend" is actually my girlfriend! I was covering for her because she felt so awful when it happenned. But now she knows, if she falls on any more plants, to prepare for an alabama beat down, heh heh.
phil

Ah ha! Now the plot thickens.
You got the chick drunk in hopes of getting some nookie and she totals your plant as she passes out instead.
Was it worth it? Are you expecting her to pay for the damages in ways other than monetarily? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink!! Are you hoping to experience a different type of bird of paradise? Are you expecting monthly installments of hugs and Lewinskys?

pay
did.
drunk
have
Just love on your friend. Some folks are not as graceful. Thats why I don't follow sports. I'm not graceful and I've fallen on my plants.Once did such a good job that I crushed my heel and had a plate and 10 screws put in.
Be glad your plant is alive. It'll come back as it is established. Probably will fool you and look bette rthan prior to its haircut.
-- Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky 2003 Honorable Mention Award, Keep Houston Beautiful - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
On 23 Jan 2004 01:00:41 -0800, rdnzl snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Phil) wrote:

Poor plant. Poor you. Poor friend. Accidents happen, as I was reminded when a Dudge van the size of a battleship totalled my faithful old Sentra last week.
As Zhan says, few plants 'heal' with splints. (Nice for us that people *do*.) And as she also notes, a healthy root mass is likely to help the plant recover.

Maine, too. More guns per capita in Maine than in Texas, I've heard. You don't hear of housebreaks up there, most doors are unlocked, because most everyone's got a gun or two and know how to use them.
Gun control just makes legal gun owners jump through more hoops. Like those prisoners say, they don't buy their guns from dealers, they buy them on the street; there's more out there than any licensing authority is ever going to keep track of. Keep yourself safe, don't expect a law to do it.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:40:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

I'm glad you had the choice.
BTW How's your double tap? Second shot close to the first?
Regards,
Hal
You r argument has lots of valid points however less then fifty kids have died in the last ten years due to gunshot inflicted wounds now as horrific as that seems I live in an area where there are 4 million people in the tricounty area and that's not la philly so if you take into account all of the US and a span of ten years that is relitively a very small number actually crime is down when you compare it to the last one hundred years I have to admit less people would die if more of them were more careful. Most children who die from gunshot wounds were shot by a gun that was not properly locked up only one in twenty five cases it was proved that the gun was locked up and still obtained by a child and those children were adolessant teens. More often than not improper parenting is respondsable for the shootings I personally don't keep a gun in my house because of afive and seven year old but I don't chastize any one who does either I feel very strongly about my rights as a citizen of the US One of the best examples of losing rights one agter another where the first right lost was the right to bear arms was natzi germany One of the fundimental marxist rules is uttered from his own mouth and written in his works is "The first step to enslaving a nation is to disarm it's people" a strong and thought prevoking statement I choose not to own a gun but I like to have that choice to make for my self. My husband is a retired U. S. Marine and several people I know or are known by family members have died protecting that right and many others Many countries with the laws in which you speak may have low crime rates but have other laws which restrict freedoms in ways that you could never imagine I have friends from many countries Japan england Ireland denmark spain italy congo S Africa vietnam philipeans australia and a few others mostly exchange students or parents of friends who moved here from other countries think dispite the problens in the us their lives are infantly better in so many ways we could barely fathim to understand Michelle Proud of my country and Damn glad to be free. Ps forgive typos please I'm leagly blind
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:40:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

have you thought about using voice to text software for the computer? dragon naturally speaking can also read text back to you. Ingrid

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:01:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote: I do use some specialized software for people in my situation but it is a little limited some times with different programs and it works with this one but is definatly limited and pronounces quite a few words wrong and I am constantly unsure if It is mispronouncing or if I am making a typo . It works well when word processing I have tried dragon It makes more mistakes and can't tell some words apart like homynems . to too and two for example or homyphones like live the act of residing somewhere live being alive The program I have now does the same thing it can only be made to pronounce a given word one way I'm hoping that voice recognition will get better soon. but I like to type too Keeps me practiced for work I'd rather have you guys jibe me than my boss he he Michelle "Love is the water in the garden of life "

it stops shit loads of criminals and lunatics from getting a gun legally. they DO try to buy from gun dealers. buying street guns is like buying your VCR outta somebody's trunk. you get what you pay for. Illegal guns are more expensive and are mostly pieces of shit that are as likely to blow up in a persons hands as misfire. Ingrid

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com expounded:

Oh, please, Ingrid, it does not. Go ahead and believe it does, it makes you feel safe. I don't need gun laws to make me safe, I've got what I need to do that.
And I wouldn't sully my eyes with Bowling for Columbine. I definitely don't get my 'facts' from Michael Moore. One fact that Michael Moore failed to tell you was out of the 34 states thatpassed concealed carry laws, *none* experienced an increase in crime.....none of them. Maybe you should have watched John Stossel the other night, they don't call gun control a myth for nothing.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Especially those criminal football players who take steroids. Yeah, we need to stamp that out.
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 00:26:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com opined:

Huh?

Oh, I guess you didn't watch/listen to the president give the State of the Union address. One of his key issues was to stamp out steroids in sports. The balls on that piece of work is astonishing.

need to

Union
balls
Don't you feel he exhibited them when he strutted aboard the aircraft carrier and announced, "Mission accomplished!" or when he told the Arabs, threatening retaliation, to, "Bring them on!" And please don't forget his surreptitious visit to the troops in Iraq at Christmas. That was one of the bravest things he's done since he became President. Do you suppose his reelection committee will air shots of this event this fall?
John