HELP! - Can't Keep St. Augustine Grass Alive

I am at wit's end with my St. Augustine (Floratam) lawn. The same areas gradually die out every year. I have taken samples into my Florida county extension office and the results have been root rot and/or fungus. Twice I have totally removed the dead grass, loosened the soil 6" deep, mixed in organic matter, and resodded. The first week I watered twice a day, the second week once a day, and every few days thereafter when the grass showed signs of wilting. It has been a couple months since the last resodding, and about 1/4 of the new sod appears dead. It looks like it never took root. I applied Scotts MaxGuard (fertilizer plus insecticide) a couple weeks after I laid the sod and have also applied Scotts Lawn Fungus Control twice. The areas that die are in mostly sun.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim Burns

You shouldn't have to go through such a hassle with St. Augustine. Given the right conditions, it'll be virtually trouble-free, without all the junk you put on it. Two things:

1) It's a grass, and like just about all grasses it needs lots of direct sunlight. If you put it under a shade tree it won't do well. 2) The sod needs daily watering for at least two weeks after you've laid it down. Then, regular deep watering at least once a week.

You may be overfertilizing it with all that Scott's Fertilizer crap, especially if you just laid down the sod. If you feel you must fertilize it, wait a few months and then buy something manufactured by a company on the Gulf Coast. But I don't think you even need that. Ironite is all you should need.

Reply to
Lou Minatti