Help/advice needed

Hi, I planted a tree a few years ago ( I don't know what species it is ATM, but it's supposed to grow small orange berries or something in fall) and it was growing at a decent pace, but now some idiots have kicked it or something and broke it. There is a small stump sticking out which will hopefully start growing again, but I want to know if it's possible to save the top part of the tree and make it grow roots again somehow. I know some plants can do this, but I don't know if this happens with trees and if it does, what process to take.

I have hacked off the end of the trunk so it's level as someone told me to do, and then put it in water for a few weeks. The person who told me to do this said roots would start growing in a few weeks, but after 3 weeks there doesn't appear to be any sign of roots regenerating. The leaves aren't looking that good either. Is it still possible to save this tree? Should I plant it in soil perhaps? All help is appreciated and I hope I'm asking this in the correct group because this is the only plant one I could find.

P.S. What is this process of roots growing from the bottom of the trunk/stem (when there's none there) called because I couldn't find any information on the net when searching?

Reply to
Chriz

It is close to impossible that your tree top will survive unless we are talking about something less than the diameter of a pencil with only a leaf or two. While it is very common to propagate trees and shrubs from cuttings, even that needs to be done in a well controlled manner to be successful. Frankly, I would dig out the stump and start over. This time you might consider surrounding the new tree with a guard if it is likely to be subject to abuse. Nurseries in my area are putting their trees on clearance right now, so you may be able to find a bargain. Fall is probably a better time to plant if your area has hot, dry summers.

Reply to
Vox Humana