HELP

I know nothing about gardening, and i what to stop the wife moening im going to do a complete makeover of our garden and i dont know were to start, could you send any details or information or tips on the best way to do a makeover
Thanks
m simpkins

There are many books on garden design at the bookstore. I would start there.
Go to the library and check out a few books on landscaping and read them thoroughly.
If you can't do that, hire a landscaper.

when I bought my new house I drew a map of my yard just a basic out line of the house and the existing garden beds just a simple sketch then I drew in garden beds and things I wanted in my yard. it helps to visualize. then take your wife to the garden center and look at things she finds attractive. read teh lables and make sure of the amount of sun each area gets each day. if your wife like to cook consider a herb harden in a sunny spot with good drainage. most spices a re nice perinials that means they come back each year and an anual only lasts one year. If you don't really care to garden each year pick a lot of ones that come back each year so that you can minimize gardenign each year. and choose shrups that don't require much work other than ocational pruning. and talk to the garden house about which plants to prune when you can get a nice look that is leasy to care fore if you do a little home work to start with. I have a bulb garden that is only lilies and a few other kinds of flowers like creeping flox that I mulch every year and that is pretty much it aside from a small amount of weeding and feeding try plants that get tall and take up space but have nice flowers like irises or do a bench and tall trellis and but the bench under the trellis and train roses over it I like Don Juan my self they are pretty can be cut to come inthe house and your wife might like to do the care for them. but it in a corner some where and create a garden path to it with some cute little garden stones like stepping stones.maybe if she like wildlife put out a bird feeder and a bird bath and you'll get birds chipmunks and things plant blants that attract and feed catipillers and butterflies make your yard a nice place to retreat to on a nice eevening or on a cool morning. have fun with it involve your wife and kids if you have any. having a joint hobby will bring you closer. and if that does not convince you there was a study that showed americans who kept a garden and tended and cared for it were generally healthier than those who had no hobbie or garden. it's a good work out and really gratifying when you see all you created good luck planning is the key go for it and have fun michelle On 17 May 2004 16:20:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com (m simpkins) wrote:

I don't think it the new garden will be successful (if success = wife stops whining) unless the wife willingly gets involved. Unless the OP can lay out some serious cash, the task is likely to evolve over years and involve a lot of trial and error. Things sometime look worse before they look better. What looks good to you may look bad to the wife. You may want a prairie and she may want Sissinghurst. This sound similar to people who want to have a child to improve their marriage.

Do you LIKE to garden? If you don't and know nothing about it as well, you might be better off hiring a competent designer to plan and implement a new garden. It is an investment, but is cheaper in the long run than trial and error with expensive plants that are inappropriate for your specifc area and soil conditions.
There is a HUGE learning curve regarding an entire garden makeover if you are unfamiliar with gardening - are you willing to undergo that extensive a process? This is the reason landscapers and garden designers are in business - they already possess that skill set and are an ideal solution for someone in your position.
pam - gardengal

new
and
for
I think you have to live with a property for a time before you get a real feeling for how it "works." I had a landscape designer draw-up a plan shortly after I moved into my present house. They installed the hardscape the first year. The second year I had them install part of the plantings. I have done the rest, making changes along the way. A lot of the shrubs installed by the landscape firm were too large or planted too close together. Other plants proved to be a poor choice for their location. This was done by a prestigious firm that had been in business for decades.

I guess hence the old adage I if ya wan it done right do it yourself" ........:-)
On 17 May 2004 16:20:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com (m simpkins) wrote:
Are you in the UK, I'm thinking btinternet is a British internet provider. My apologies if I am incorrect.
I just looked and there is a group called uk.rec.gardening which is a very active group, over 6300 posts since 4/1/04.
Not that I'm trying to get rid of you, but there is a good chance that you would find local answers for local growing conditions.

Also, terminology differences can lead to misunderstandings. When I hear "garden" because of my interests, I think of a patch dug up to plant vegetables, herbs, small fruits, and perhaps a few selected sorts of flowers.
Yard, would be the entire outside property Grass, and garden. So, since I have friends from the UK, I'm thinking you're meaning your lawn and shrubs..your entire outdoor property?
What you can do, depends considerably in the soil composition, the condition it's in now, what has been done with it in the past, how it has been used or abused. What is the layout of your property?
I used to watch Ground Force on BBC America, and the configuration of the "Gardens" differed wildly from place to place, from long narrow plots narrow enough that you could almost reach across them with outstretched arms, to square or rectangular plots similar to what I would see here in my area in the USA.
I would suggest you do some reading, check with your local council to know what you are allowed to do, and they may even have suggestions for help in planning, or may be able to offer you planning assistance.
Are there not gardening groups/clubs there? If so, perhaps it might serve you well to check with some of them to see if there are people in your area who can give you tips on what type of things to avoid, or special soil preparation or grading tips if you are in an area prone to poor drainage.
In the mean time, while checking out your options, generally clean up whatever area you do have, walk over the area, pick up limbs, trash, refuse, anything that could damage a mower or cause you to trip or somehow have thrown back at you from a mower blade or string trimmer. Mow, trim the area learn what plants are in the garden now, decide what is worth keeping, if you're new to the area, or just have not paid any attention, do so, walk the area, if you don't know what something is, take a sample to a garden shop or other location where you can get some assistance.
That's why I suggested you look in on the uk.rec.gardening newsgroup to make some contacts there, get some advice about the local resources.
Good luck!
Janice
janice You al always seem to e a well thought out level headed poster with good advice I like reading your posts. :-)
On Sat, 22 May 2004 23:54:36 -0600, Janice