Hedge trimmers

I'm looking for a decent hedge trimmer. I'm thinking of a lightweight cordless to use on a 10' high, 200-foot long Rose-of-Sharon hedge. Any recommendations under $110?

Reply to
Phisherman

3lb. and 100% cordless:

Eggs Zachtly

How's the charge last on that thing? ;)

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

How long do two cold tall ones last?

Reply to
Sheldon

A helluva lot longer than a battery, I assure you. ;)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Ahhh, liquid power cells.. Now, that all depends on the consumption levels of the motor. :D

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

I know they have dead man switches, but I also know that a lot of people use the override rather than holding the trigger. If you are in that situation, I wonder if you want to be balanced on an unstable ladder, holding something that will trim you as easily as it will trim the hedge, hoping that you won't fall.

Unless you are very tall, or have a stable platform to stand > I'm looking for a decent hedge trimmer. I'm thinking of a lightweight

Reply to
Not

There are various pole hedge trimmers; electric, cordless rechargeable electric, and petrol models... all price ranges... from a $100 Black & Decker to a $140 Ryobi, to $500+ commercial models. These tools allow one to stand firmly on the ground and trim hedges ten feet and more overhead. Professional landscapers don't climb ladders to trim hedges, why should you.

Sheldon

The trimmers are for a cancer-treatment weakened 73-year-old man and he won't use manual hedge trimmers. I can imagine a trigger button would be annoying. Last year they were trimmed using hand pruners, a time-consuming process.

Reply to
Phisherman

On that note, I know full well what it feels like to whack yourself with one of those.. My wife had an old one with a hair trigger which I was using one day to box the boxwoods... I have NO idea how it happened but in an instant that dang thing whacked the tip of my finger in half, grazing the bone in the process.

Now, I'm not one to cuss at all, but I managed several choice expletives while shaking my hand and flinging blood all over the bush before grabbing the tip and marching into the house, barking at my stepson to get the door for me as the blood trickled down my arm.

I tend to avoid hospitals, so I cleaned it myself, spreading the wound as I held it under the faucet then inspecting for any issues before wrapping the finger in a compression bandage.

Still use that evil little thing, but tend to make totally sure I've got a grip on it and am holding it before it starts up..

It's on my replacement list for next season.

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

After some research, it looks like the cordless models are only good for a short time. Everyone that has had a corded model says they eventually and accidentally cut the cord. And, I don't want another gasoline tool. So now I'm looking at the hand trimmers/shears, maybe Made in Germany or a Felco brand. I see there are straight and wavy cutting blades--why is one preferred over the other? TIA

Reply to
Phisherman

Don't you think you might have mentioned that limitation in your original request... next you're gonna add that he's a double amputee and blind. Didja every suppose that maybe you should be trimming those giant hedges for him.

Reply to
Sheldon

I already offered to do it. I need to persuade getting a quality pair of manual trimmers. No, he's not blind nor crippled, just a little set-in-his-ways about what he wants. It's amazing how cancer treatment greatly weakens the muscles, though. The good news is that he has finished all treatments and so far no cancer has been detected.

Reply to
Phisherman

The wavy blades do better with thicker tougher wood but they don't make so even a cut as the light weight precision models... it's a good idea to have both types. Leevalley.com has very nice hedge shears, I have both... the heavy one with fiber glass handles and the precision one with aluminum handles, both work exceptionally well when used as intended. But I don't think any 73 year old, especially when ill, should be trimming a two hundred foot row of ten foot tall hedges... that's a herculean task for a twenty year old in tip top shape.

Reply to
Sheldon

Bit of an omission, eh? Your post said "you" were looking for a hedge trimmer. Leading everyone to believe that was actually the case. I can't imagine an electric cordless lasting long enough (even with extra batteries), but you've probably already figured that out.

IMO, a motorized hedge trimmer would probably be a poor choice of tool, for a Hibiscus syriacus. I've always used hand pruners for them. And, who in their right mind plants a 200' hedge of that plant anyway? heh

Also, at 10' high, a powered hedge trimmer would be a bit unwieldy, especially for a 'weakened 73-year old man'. Hell, I wouldn't attempt it, and I'm just over half his age.

Does he try and keep it formally trimmed? That size of hedge, of that plant, should look just fine, grown naturally.

Anything is going to be 'a time-consuming process', given a hedge of that size. But, that was the best choice of tool, if they /really/ want to keep it formal.

Me, while I never would have planted it in the first place, I'd stick with the hand pruners.

Just my $.02

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I've got a cordless trimmer but no hedges. Ah a Japanese hedge may qualify but I use it as a upright weed destroyer.

Lazy

Bill Banzai

I take that Banzai means I hope to see you when this is over.

Reply to
William Wagner

Phisherman expounded:

I can't help you with the hedge trimmer but wanted to say I'm happy for him (and you as his friend).

Reply to
Ann

I had a cordless Homelite set from HD for only $99 with trimmer, weed wacker and 2 batteries with charger that worked OK for maybe 3 years but when batteries and maybe charger going and batteries costing $50 each, I threw out the whole set. Hated to do this with still functioning equipment but economics rules.

As an older person myself, I would think this guy is going to expend more energy climbing a step ladder to reach top of hedge. I'm not familiar with Rose-of-Sharon but maybe as good neighbor, you could help him trim back to more manageable height.

Reply to
Frank