Hedge Replacement

A good friend of mine has a long, wide row of hedges in his back yard. They are about 8.5 to 9 feet tall. (Yes, they are a pain to trim.) In the front yard there is one gaping top section cut out by storm, injury or whatever? This section is about 3 feet in length at most. I asked him if he ever thought of removing the hedges in that area and replanting a fuller ones. He said he'd like to but that it would take years for replacement hedges to grow to that height and fill in.
Is he on target here or is a there a work around to this problem?
dont know where you are located zonewise, but both forsythia and especially spirea, bridal wreath makes spectacular hedges that dont need to be trimmed, just pruned a bit after blooming. these are my dwarf spireas http://weloveteaching.com/landscape/spirea/spirea.html they were too big and had to be removed unfortunately. Ingrid
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:21:41 GMT, "Charlie S."

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

Nicely planted but you need more yard. ;)

Thanks for the photos. Don't believe forsythia is the species he has. We live in New England. These hedges have somewhat oval shaped, small leaves that run in pairs off the branches. The leaves have one central vein in the middle.
I put a link to what they might look like. I can't see the leaves on these hedges. So, I'm not certain.
http://www.armin-grewe.com/holiday/gloucestershire/hidcote-hedges.jpg

Those a most likely a common privet hedge: http://tinyurl.com/32xpvt
http://www.naturehills.com/new/product/shrubs_productdetails.aspx?proname=Privet+-+Amur+North+River

http://www.naturehills.com/new/product/shrubs_productdetails.aspx?proname=Privet+-+Amur+North+River
Thanks! That's the hedge I'm talking about.
Guess there is nothing he can do about the gap except remove the old hedge and plant young, new ones.