Hedge recommendations

We live in a city in Zone 5/6. We have a privet hedge around our front yard, which looks nice and has survived, but over the years it has gradually grown higher and wider, to the point that it has to be severely cut back; I'm wondering if it will survive this and considering just removing it and putting in another.

While the privet is nice, it grows rapidly and requires frequent trimming. We want a hedge that is about eighteen inches or two feet high, and perhaps eighteen inches thick. What types of hedge would look good trimmed to that size, and perhaps not grow as rapidly as the privet?

Reply to
William Brown

Boxwood would work well.

Reply to
Felder

I like Japanese Holly. Birds like it too.

William(Bill)

Reply to
William Wagner

William Brown writes: >We live in a city in Zone 5/6. We have a privet hedge around our front >yard, which looks nice and has survived, but over the years it has >gradually grown higher and wider, to the point that it has to be >severely cut back; I'm wondering if it will survive this and considering >just removing it and putting in another. > >While the privet is nice, it grows rapidly and requires frequent >trimming. We want a hedge that is about eighteen inches or two feet >high, and perhaps eighteen inches thick. What types of hedge would look >good trimmed to that size, and perhaps not grow as rapidly as the privet? >-- >SPAMBLOCK NOTICE! To reply to me, delete the h from apkh.net, if it is >there. >

I am trying shrub roses for such a situation. I planted them about 2 feet apart and so far so good. They each have about 15 flowers on them and look gorgeous. Problem though - maintenance, Dead head shrubs weekly. But looks great. No pics available yet.

Reply to
Will Renkel