hedge problem

I have leylandii around one side of my property and it is about dead due to aphids.I now want to change to another type of hedge. It is about 12ft high by 4-5 ft thick, one side is pavement and road and other is lawn. I use it mainly for privacy so need something that will give me good thick, quick cover. I am thinking of cutting it back my side to the central trunk and then planting hedge in between the roots so I can keep my privacy while the new hedge grows then after a few years can chop down all leylandii leaving a new hedge with a decent height.
Can you tell me if this will work and what hedgeing would you recommend.
--
jack52

jack52 wrote:

Sounds unlikely, how do you know this?
I now want to change to another type of hedge. It is

Depends on where you are and your soil.
David
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 01:22:45 +0000, jack52

Cedar stockade fence.