Thanks for everyone who responded to my previous question.
Now another help I need is to find out what will be the best hedge for
I really want a child friendly garden as I've 1 year old son.
I was initially thinking of either PRIVET or LAUREL but found out that
these trees are poisonous, so really dropped the idea.
Now I'm thinking of either GREEN OR PURPLE BEECH to form the hedge. The
area is 13 meters in length and next to the fence adjoining next
property. making it partially shaded.
Could anyone advice what will be the best option for me to go for. Any
suggestions on where I can get good hedges will be also appreciated.
I'm based in Kingston upon thames, London.
I and four siblings grew up in a neighborhood with both privet and laurel
hedges. That neighborhood was also crawling with kids of all ages most of
whom also had laurel and privet in their yards. I raised children with a
laurel hedge across the backyard and privet along a side walkway. Those kids
are all alive, healthy and approaching middle age. Most all of my former
playmates are still tottering around in advanced years. As I remember now we
also had an enormous Golden Chain tree in the back yard. Mother said, "That
will kill you, don't eat it." We didn't. I also had a Golden Chain tree
growing next to the garage. I told the kids, "That will kill you, don't eat
it." They didn't. You should probably teach your child to drink from the
garden hose while you're at this gardening stuff. Hose water builds strong
little bodies and stellar immune systems. ;)
Speaking of drinking from the garden hose, you might get a laugh out of
There are two videos. Start the one on the left. It's about 12 minutes long.
The fun begins around 4 minutes and 45 seconds.
Many desirable plants are either poisonous or have poisonous parts.
Rhubarb has already been cited.
Consider the peach. A fresh leaf might actually kill a small child.
The kernel inside the pit -- which looks like an almond -- can kill a
full-grown adult. Leaves and kernels contain cyanide. But the fruit is
Another one is natal plum (Carissa macrocarpa), a close relative of the
oleander. Much of the plant is quite toxic, but the ripe fruit is quite
Schools plant oleander (Nerium oleander) because it is both pretty and
durable. Yes, all parts are toxic if eaten. But children don't like
the taste. Other than a notorious case of intentional oleander
poisoning a few decades ago (the accused was found not guilty by a
jury), no one has died in California from oleander in about a century.
People sometimes do get ill when they illegally cut oleander branches in
parks to use as barbecue skewers (thin and straight).
The seeds of jicima (Pachyrhizus erosus) are toxic. The roots are
edible raw or cooked.
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
David, you've got to stop that pernicious habit of giving polite,
reasoned answers to questions posted on this NG.
It looks especially bad when you're paired with a, a, a, I don't know
what to call him/her/it, such as the poster who weighed in on
my query about hybrids.
Go and sin no more.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.