Hedge advice

Hello,
I am seeking some advice regarding a hedge. In between our fence an our driveway we have a space around and foot wide (at the widest) an about 20 feet long. We would like to grow anything hedge-like that i around 4ft or greater in height, but would be fairly narrow - an recommendations?
many thanks
-- diesel75
On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 16:01:11 +0100, diesel75

Location makes a big difference. Do you want evergreen? A properly trimmed hedge should be wider at the bottom than on the top (tapered sides to get more even foliage coverage). My hedge is rose-of-sharon. It's fairly narrow, tall, blooms, and requires little care other than a yearly trim. Boxwood is another good one, although I'm not sure which variety will grow to 4 foot.

should do well in the English climate --

In that amount of space, I'd grow vines or espaliered fruit trees.

Any idea where you live?

Sounds like neighbor problems to me...
A one foot width is too narrow for any traditional "hedge". If it's your fence and it's well ino your property then you can consider some sort of vine that can be kept clipped short and narrow, maybe morning glory. Were it me I'd simply plant an assortment of tall growing flowering annuals and perennials; hollyhocks are nice.

Not in the UK; hedges between neighbours on each side are standard practice here. Friendly neighbours commonly manage the boundary hedge together and clip one side each. The open-plan front gardens seen in America don't appeal to our island/castle mentality :-)

Nah, in the UK climate you can easily clip yew, box, berberis, privet, cotoneaster or pyracantha into a low narrow dense hedge and keep it like that for decades..as many do .
Janet.