Hebe or not Hebe

Hi -- Two seasons ago I bought a few liners from a nursery in NJ. They were tagged as Hebe Quicksilver. Last season they did not flower but the leaves were impressive, very variable in color. The plants grew to about 8 inches. This season the plants are about 2 feet tall, still with leaves of cream or green; cream with green; green with cream; others have blotches on them ranging from rust colored to dark brown. But now I have the first flower spike with little Red buds on it. Hebe Quicksilver is supposed to have pale Mauve flowers. Can anyone ID this plant?

TIA (NJ,Z6)

Reply to
Twobtold

That's certainly not Hebe Quicksilver. This is:

has teency tiny silvery blue leaves on nearly woody black stems.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

It's Persicaria. Do a Google search and pick out your specific plant. They can be invasive. Japanese Knotweed is in the same family.

Reply to
Travis

I believe you have Polygonum Virginianum, also known as Painter's Palette. Check out the info at

for more information.

In my yard, the plant is a perennial and does vigorously self-seed but can be pulled out rather easily.

Reply to
Marcy Hege

It's Persicaria virginiana 'Painters Pallette', a very attractive and easy to maintain (not invasive) herbaceous perennial for part shade. As paghat said, most certainly not a Hebe, which is a woody subshrub and definitely not 'Quicksliver', which has tiny blue green leaves, held on dark stems. FYI, most hebes will not be hardy for you in NJ - they are a somewhat tender plant and will need winter protection. And as a means to identify a hebe, should you really encounter one, the foliage is ranked - that is, pairs of opposing leaves are held at exactly 90 degrees from the preceeding pair so that when you look down the stem, the leaves are in pecise alternate rows set 90 degrees apart.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Yep, I knew it was mis-labeled because I ckecked your site before I posted. Great site, I have it bookmarked and use it often. Thanks.

Reply to
Twobtold

Right on. Seems this plant has had a tough time finding correct genus. Out of the Google search I would pick either Persicaria filiformis 'Painter's Palette' or Persicara filiformis 'varigata'. And they might both be the same plant. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Twobtold

Thanks for the info. The plant certainly has a lot of names: Tovara virginiana, Polygonum virginianum, Persicaria filiformis but one thing is now certain I do not have a Hebe. I'm not unhappy though, I like the foliage.

Reply to
Twobtold

Thanks Pam, another name to add to the list. I guess it's safe to say the genus is Persicaria and the species is either virginiana or filiformis.

Yes, she indicates that the smaller the leaf, the hardier the plant.

Interesting. Would a Weigela be said to have 'ranked' foliage?

Reply to
Twobtold

There are exceptions though & 'Quicksilver' MIGHT be just a tad bit tender compared to, say, the broader leafed 'Autumn Glory.'

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat