Hebe

I planted this gorgeous New Zealand shrub by the side porch (Eastern exposure) , but it is getting too big for the site. I would like to move it out front (Northern exposure) where I need a big plant.

But I have spent a long time looking in vain for info on the Web about how it takes transplantation. I am generally a successful transplanter, but don't want to mess with an expensive plant if it isn't happy with moving house.

Any experience out there?

This is So.Calif coastal, about a mile from the beach in Santa Monica

TIA

Reply to
Higgs Boson

The message from Higgs Boson contains these words:

Small ones up to a couple of feet high/wide transplant easily (just dig a good clump of soil and root, don't let the soil fall off the roots) If you risk it with a larger plant, take cuttings and root them elsewhere as insurance.

Hebes grow very easily from cuttings and grow fast; I'd just cut off some stems and stick them in the ground where you want a new plant. Next year when you are sure at least one of them has taken , you can get rid of the old plant.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Or try moving it somewhere just for the experience.

Reply to
Garrapata