Hazel nuts

We have a hazel nut plant we did not know was there . . . until it suddenly this summer produced a several dozen embryo nuts, only one or two per branch.

This plant has a dozen stems, seeded itself anything up to 10 years ago, and now stands about 2 metres high and 2 metres wide. What can I do to encourage it to become a high- yielding hazel nut tree ?

I forget the zone number but Ottawa, Canada, is pretty cold for 5 months of the year.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

clear the brush around it, mulch with wood chips all the way to the dripline, and fertilize sparingly. water when it does not rain for three weeks running. it is not a demanding plant. I suppose the site is well drained, for it to grow this big.

Reply to
simy1

Thanks for this . . . Mulch with any sort of wood chips? I.e. is pine/fir as good as maple/alder ? (Watering today in 30C dry heat.)

Reply to
Don Phillipson