Hawthorn Hedge

Ok i have a hawthorn hedge, its about 9ft high 23m long and very see through, its in really bad condition at bottom(bare, weeds etc) i bought stuff to build a fence and was going to rip it out, problem is i have bad neighbours across the street and hedge blocks them off, my wife now wants me to put the new two meter high fence in the inside and leave the hedge up, is this a good idea? what would happen to the hedge? would it die off?

thanks mark

Reply to
squirreluk

Try "plashing" the Hawthorn. My English husband, who has lived all but ten years of his almost 60 years in the UK, has seen many examples of this having been done to Hawthorn. He said at first it would look a bit rough as it healed and grew in, but you can make it as thick as you want and the fence would mean you'd have to maintain it. Plashing is making a cut and bending a branch over horizontally and as it heals, and grows, it sends new shoots upwards making a more dense and thick impenetrable hedge which is what you want. .He says there are certainly nurseries that have a special tool that does this. Google the term, or ask a local nursery about it, he says that he's seen many wonderful examples of this in Somerset and other areas. Good luck with your solution. If your wife is patient with the plashing, you will have a hedge that won't have to be maintained like the fence would.

madgardener in Tennessee

Reply to
madgardener1