Have I destroyed my Lavatera

Hi to all from Co Kerry in Ireland. I have two large Lavateras that are looking a bit sickly after I hacked away a portion that was scratching against our cars as we drove up the drive. I'm a novice gardener and am still learning about what gets pruned and when. This partial amputation was done in October last year and there are no signs of recovery. Now I have learned I should have pruned it down to the ground in January!
Here's my question. Am I too late to prune it in mid-March and, if yes, how far should I go, and if no, what can I do to resuscitate the poor thing. OK so that was actually 3 questions. Desperation!
Thanks for any advice
--
eggplant

If they are woody plants that scratch your car here is some pruning informion I wrote for you.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning /
Also you may find this stuff in your library in Ireland.
www.shigoandtrees.com
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.