Has anybody planted a fairly long hedgerow?

Zone 12 in California, want to plant a fairly long hedgrow along the back property line to obscure view and some noise from the property behind me. The length is 660', was thinking of oleander, pampas grass or maybe a combo of both. Drought tolerent would be good but I have irrigation so it's not that necessary. Any body do anything similiar that can comment or make suggestions? Thanks.
--Ben
I used english laurel, it grows real fast and it's pretty dense. Gets tall real fast if you don't plant the dwarf version.
I guess the problem with oleander is the poisonous flowers. It's is one of the most toxic plants that exists. Check out the toxicity on this web page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleander. But if you don't like your neighbors...that is another story.

kenv wrote:

I have a 600ft plus Laurel hedge,like the other poster said,it grows fast and it's very hardy.
Von.

It's not so much the neighbors as all the roosters that have showed up with the new owner. Well maybe it is the neighbors...............:-)
--Ben

Do you want a hedge or a hedgerow? I ask because there is a difference in definition in many parts of the world. A hedge to me would be just a few diffferent species (2 or 3) whereas a hedgerow in many different species as it is used to give biodiversity.
I've used just Leyland cypress which grows like crazy for just a hedge over that length (as would the laurel mentioned by others). For a traditional hedgerow I'd include plants that have thorns and berries for the birds (such as pyracantha or holly), plants that are bushy for nesting and plants which have fruit like crabapples.
BTW, hedges dont really cut out noise - you need a forest for that.