Has anybody ever "rescued" a plant?

Page 2 of 2
Hmmm, what's this ajuga 'Arctic Fox?' Sounds interesting.
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:50:35 +0100, "David Hill"

Hope you were able to rescue them Jessica!!...isn't it a great feeling, especially when you see them perk back up again?

farm)
Yup, went back and got four more! Will probaley go back this weekend if they're still around and save the rest of them!
-Jessica

not
it
Quite frequently. My first rescued flower was a catteleya (sp?) which a greenhouse had thrown on its trash heap, and my best friend's family let me keep it in their greenhouse. Now I keep a sharp lookout for sales at local supermarkets--what often happens is a plant that is sold for a special holiday or just for its blooming stage is let wither after its "due date," and if I can catch it before it, too, goes into the trash and the price is right, into my garden it goes. I'm getting brasher and brasher about stopping my car or steps when I see someone uprooting a lot of plants bulldozer-style, and asking him/her, "Are you throwing those out or just replanting?" Usually I get a couple, even if they are replanting. The good thing about this sort of find is that these tend to be passalong plants--plants that have a long history of healthy adaption to local conditions and hence grow like weeds. zemedelec
We rescued an 11-12-ft Thundercloud flowering Plum tree. My husband was project manager at a wreck/rebuild construction site (truckstop). A nice tree growing in a strip near the building was going to be razed. My husband asked one of the contractors to dig it out, and they helped him wrap the root ball. He brought it home in the bed of his truck and planted it 5 years ago.
The neighbors were all wondering how much such a large tree cost. Just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.
-- pelirojaroja ----------------------------------------------- "There is a garden in every childhood, an enchanted place where colors are brighter, the air softer, and the morning more fragrant than ever again."
-- Elizabeth Lawrence

farm)
:We rescued an 11-12-ft Thundercloud flowering Plum tree. My husband was :project manager at a wreck/rebuild construction site (truckstop). A nice :tree growing in a strip near the building was going to be razed. My husband :asked one of the contractors to dig it out, and they helped him wrap the :root ball. He brought it home in the bed of his truck and planted it 5 :years ago. : :The neighbors were all wondering how much such a large tree cost. Just a :matter of being in the right place at the right time. :
    I did something similar. A local (Central FL) RV park had been sold to a developer. Between its closing and bulldozing, I went and "rescued" many cacti, bulbs, bilbergia, lantana, yucca, and other plants that had been left by snowbirds with long-term lots. I filled my trunk, back seat, and the back of a small pick-up.
    I planted everything in beds and planters around our house in place of some anemic annuals planted when the house was for sale. After two months, everything is still living.
--
Wendy Chatley Green
snipped-for-privacy@cris.com

this year, over 100 tomato seedlings damped off. in the same week I inadvertently flipped over 2 trays of marigolds, chamomile, lavender, beans and more tomatoes. Some of the beans managed to escape, though.
last year I had a pepper plant in a pot and left it out to freeze. plus about 3 rosemary cuttings died of neglect. tried to root some hybrid tea roses, ended up with several brown sticks.
prior to that, put a peace lily (?) out in the sun whereupon it turned half brown (but it survived and had children). dug up some coleus to transplant, but ended up knocking them over with a lawn mower instead.
In college, got a gift of a small jade plant, thought it would be good to put it out in the sun, whereupon it was promptly pecked to death by a bird or flying squirrel.
I cut down an annoying tree (silver maple?) in my wayward youth.
In France I am also known as the Butcher of Dande Lyons. Mwuahaha
- Salty Thumb of Death
No--just plantslaughter. Mainly through overwatering. "For each man kills the thing he loves"(Oscar Wilde, "Ballad of Redding Gaol". zemedelec
Back in the 1950's in Los Angeles when they where buldozing homes for the I-10 freeway, My dad would take me and we've drive the area, when a house had a red tag, meaning that was it's last night standing, we'de get out and walk around the place, this is how we ended up with over 100 Roses, and all the rest of the plants we had around our place at that time.
snipped-for-privacy@domeus.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@domeus.co.uk
-- "In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go again."
Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars
SIAR www.starlords.org Bishop's Car Fund http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com / Freelance Writers Shop http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Killed yes, murdered no. I brought in my aloe plants last winter and watered the crap out of them. They turned to mush and i threw them out with the garbage.

<< A local (Central FL) RV park had been sold to a developer. Between its closing and bulldozing, I went and "rescued" many cacti, bulbs, bilbergia, lantana, yucca, and other plants that had been left by snowbirds with long-term lots. I filled my trunk, back seat, and the back of a small pick-up.
    I planted everything in beds and planters around our house in place of some anemic annuals planted when the house was for sale. After two months, everything is still living.
Good show!! zemedelec
Yeah, I've murdered quite a few plants in my time but every one of them was bad and deserved to die, those damn dirty weeds.
Of course, things were different back then, with America being at war and all.
Nobody likes committing herbicide but its something that has to be done sometimes.

Yes I have done this,.. its a risk but sometimes worth it..
Some come from skips, some from shops trash, some are just dumped.. Got a couple of mature yucca's just by hauling away some mature Yucca that someone had dumped & sawing them up and sawing them into pieces.
Its a risk because you never know if you are gonna catch anythign pestwise. I ususally put any strays through a rough 'decontam' process which varies depending on the material. // Jim