harvesting gourds

when? i live in upstate ny and have a huge harvest of gourds. my question is when do i pull them off the vine? thanks Geo.

Reply to
geo

After all the foliage has browned back and the stems start to dry up. This is the best time to harvest them. I have allowed gourds to stay on the vine over the whole winter (I live in USDA Zone 8b) and in spring they are dry. It takes about as 6 months for them to dry, and up to a full year, so be patient. When you cut them from the vine, make sure you leave about a three inch stem on the gourd and do not make any punctures or cuts in the gourd or you will open it to certain rot. If you live up north and have a dry attic which doesn't freeze, that is a good place to dry them. The garage is also okay, it totally depends on your winter low temps.

Reply to
Bourne Identity