Harvesting Garlic

Page 2 of 2
il Tue, 11 May 2004 17:56:08 GMT, gary davis ha scritto:

Frozen soil? Brrr, we only get to -6C air maybe once a year at night, if that. Obviously it all depends on climate for cultivation 'rules'.
--
Cheers,
On Wed, 12 May 2004 09:03:30 +1200, Loki wrote:

And also for varieties. Google for "soft neck" / "hard neck". If you live where the climate seldom gets good and cold, I think you'll need to plant soft neck varieties and you'll need to plant them on a different schedule than a northern gardener.
Bill
--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)
il Tue, 18 May 2004 01:07:00 -0400, Anonymous ha scritto:

This started with a question from a person in Osaka, which was pretty hot when I was there. Not to mention of dubious air quality.
As for soft neck and hard neck, I'd never heard these terms used before. I just planted garlic from what I had or bought some from the nursery. They just called them 'garlic'. They've never flowered though.
I'll have to till my garden if I want to plant anything, it's as hard as a rock at the moment. Unfortunately I can't hover over the soil to weed it.
--
Cheers,
Loki said:

Soft neck, then. Hard neck generally has fewer cloves wrapped around a hard stem, and the hard stem is the remnant of the flowering stalk.
Hardnecked garlic has a zippier flavor; softneck generally stores longer and has smaller (and better wrapped) cloves.

il Tue, 18 May 2004 06:05:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@someplace.net.net (Pat Kiewicz) ha scritto:

I've just read that elephant garlic is actually a type of leek.
--
Cheers,