Harvested first tomato- blah!

Very disappointed. Harvested first tomato - ate it straight off the vine. Blah taste, no zing. It's one of the ubiquitous tomato plants sold in So. Calif. nurseries. I am notorious about not tagging plants carefully, so I THINK it's Champion or maybe Better Boy or Celebrity.

In any case, it's doesn't have the sharp, acid taste I like in a tomato.

Just venting.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Cut back on the water and fertilizer. Overwatered tomatoes taste blah.

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Thanks for suggestion, but really have not been overwatering, and have applied zero fertilizer. Will have to see how tomatoes from the other 3 vines taste before drawing possibly erroneous conclusions.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Tomatoes are very easy to grow from seed. Choose a variety of seed that grows nice tomatoes at home, and grow those. Save money too.

Reply to
echinosum

Your tomato harvest requires right nutrient solution formula and proper watering.

Reply to
allen73

What 'nutrient solution'? Why will this improve the flavour? How will it work if the cultivar is one that is not to the taste of the OP?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Now you know why tomato fanatics start with known seed , way way better selection of tomatos not engineered for mass markets.

Reply to
beecrofter

Trust me, next year fer sure! I usually DO grow from seed, both ornamentals and veggies, but this year, due to a host of circumstances, I was so late planting that I ended up buying plants. Looks like I wasted a whole season, tomato-wise, damn, damn! Hope my corn and melons, that have been planted from seed, also too lae, do better than the tomatoes.

I even (re)joined Seed Savers Network after many years in order to plant good seeds, but unfortunately did not follow up and order seeds. I will sure do so for my Fall plantings.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson