Hardy cacti

Hi- I'm a big cactus fan and, until recently, had loads growing in my house. I've now moved in with my girlfriend who isn't a fan (to say the least!) and I've had to get rid of most of them!

I'm now wondering whether any 'hardy' cacti can be grown in the garden and can survive our winter...? Surely there must be tough cacti that grow up mountains and things and survive harsh winters?

Any suggestions or advice much appreciated. Cheers. James

Reply to
James Porter

where are you at? what kind of winter are you talking about? cacti grow in cold, but the soils drain very quickly. I have prickly pear and jumping Chola that are hardy outside, but unless I planted them in poor sandy soil here in my zone 7a in Tennessee, the Chola would probably die from the rains and humidity. pad cacti do alright here, though as do agave. what kind of cacti do you have? Can you put your cacti in a specific place so that your girlfriend isn't intimidated? She's probably weary of the spines. Is there any way of compromise? Or is it a matter of either you get rid of the cactus or you leave........how long have you had your cacti? I've got a Cereus that I've grown since 1984......she weighs 100 pounds and I named her Brenda after the woman who gave it to me in 1983 to watch for her while she moved. She blooms at night in the late summer only once per blossom and last year had over 29 individually maturing flower buds that opened over a course of five weeks, then made another flush in late September and bloomed in October at night.

without knowing where you are, I can't say you can plant them outside. But you CAN take them out onto the deck after all chance of frost. I do every spring and bring them in by fall before frost and freeze.

madgardener gardening with houseplants and cacti and perennials in zone 7a Sunset zone 36 in Eastern Tennessee

Reply to
madgardener1

James Porter wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk:

what did she get rid of for you? i'd be suspicious of entering any relationship where i had to give up something important to me that i enjoyed, especially if the one asking me to give it up doesn't do any giving up themselves...

well, where do you live? zone (if in US)? climate? i can grow pad cacti outdoors in NH. there are optunia that are fine up to zone 3 (which is -40F winter temps). my less hardy cacti go outside for the summer after first frost & come back inside in September (sometimes as late as October). lee

Reply to
enigma

I have a rather extensive cacti collection. I tried growing one that originated on the southern CA coastline, but did not survive the frost. The only sure way is to get a cutting from a plant known that survives your winter. If the girl is to become a wife, get rid of the cactus plants or put up a private greenhouse unless you can convince her to enjoy the beauty of cactus.

Reply to
Phisherman

Puhleeze! He didn't say he had to get rid of all, only most, and he doesn't say she made him, just that he "had to"... more likely wasn't room for his "loads" of cacti... wtf do you think he asked about planting them outdoors? Anyways he didn't ask you to play Dr. Phil.... offer some constructive advice, miss gloom and doom.

Reply to
brooklyn1

A rock and a hard place....

Wow. Reminds of The Waitresses song "I know what boys like".

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Gardens North site lists several in their retail catalogue - I doubt if you would be able to order but at least give you some names and zonal informaiton. No affiliation Dora

bungadora