Hardy Bamboo

My hardy bamboo is still brown and frowsy looking. In a Zone 5/6 is this unusual? The canes still look green, but the leaves are toast.
Thanks!
Consider yourself lucky. Most hardy bamboo are rampant weeds.

Cereus-validus wrote:

Not true.
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Gallagher wrote:

What kind of bamboo is it?
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Winterburn We had a period of severe cold coupled with dessicating winds. Many of the bamboos had near total leaf burn. When the new culms come up and leaf out the old ones should releaf unless the cold was so severe as to kill the leaf buds or even the side branches. What kind are you growing?
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:28:32 -0400, "Gallagher"

This is normal. by the time you read this, you should have fresh green foliage and a shooting of new canes, feel free to prune away unsightly canes from previous years after the new shoots are woody.
hermine stover

I have 7 different varieties of bamboo growing around my place, and they all seem to have their own preference for weather conditions. I even planted several clumps of one variety in different places. Some clumps, even though they're the same type of bamboo are behaving differently, with shoots coming up in some places and nothing happening in others. Maybe it's the microclimates.
Zone 5/6 if it was in a pot on the ground it might just be toast. We did have a rough winter. If it is in the ground most are shooting now. Coastal CT, the yellowgrrove shoots are an inch or more thick and man high in the most favorable spots.
As for Cereus, never argue with a fool-bystanders can't tell you apart.
On 24 May 2004 06:59:40 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com (Beecrofter) wrote:

Earlier post, somebody mentioned microclimates, very important issue,plants in a garden can flourish in one locaation and languish in another not fifty feet apart.
Yellowgroove, P. aureosulcata, is a VERY HARDY DURABLE bamboo. folks have planted it in PA where strip mining had all but ruined the earth, and other attempts to establish a green cover had failed. I find every season with bamboo is different, the times for shooting and so forth. this has been so in Boston, and now in California.
don't argue with who? hardly!
hermine