Happy Thanksgiving

I hope that you all, even in the shadow of evil, have a happy Thanksgiving. As long as you are on the right side of the grass, you have something to be happy about.

My condolences to native Americans. We really made a genocidal mess of things.

Thought for the day. If uncontrolled immigration got us to where we are today, where might it lead us tomorrow?

Still eating lemon cucumbers and Stupice tomatoes from the garden and Blackwater isn't patrolling the streets, yet.

Giving thanks. A la table. Zum Tisch.

Reply to
Billy

You sound depressed.

Such is life. If they had had the brains to unite early on instead of indulging in tribal warfare, we'd all be speaking Native American now.

The Sunni's and Shiites are not going to learn from history either.

Oh hush. ;-) I've been trying to make myself learn Tex-mex for years! Berlitz sux.

We'll be feasting tomorrow. My Brother in law was too stubborn to ask me how to quick thaw a turkey and screwed it up. It spoiled and the replacement bird is still frozen.

Sh** happens, but he'll never make THAT mistake again! ;-D

I'm having some of the Orange Cranberry relish I made on a Hamburger patty instead, as soon as I digest these bacon/egg/cheese breakfast tacos I bought down the street from the only Taqueria in town that was open...

I also took advantage of this glorious cold front and did some more digging work on the garden bed out in the front yard. I finally got up that bucket of Concrete I had buried for the flagpole that I put up in

2001...

The concrete in the top of the bucket still has the etching "09/11/2001" in it.

I'm just giving thanks for a decent career that provides a warm roof over my head and clean running water. One can always buy another turkey for $.67 per lb.!

Unless you are living on minimum wage and had too many kids. :-( I'll do my charity work after this weekend...

Reply to
Omelet

"The right side of the grass" has different means depending on whether you're a worm or not.

Reply to
doofy

Hey dude! Watch your attributions/snippage please. ;-)

I did not post that tidbit.

Reply to
Omelet

so solly.

Reply to
doofy

Hugs always welcome;-) Morning paper full of advertising inserts. Some stores are opening at mid-night and the local Wally Worlds will open at

5 AM to kick-off the budget bustin', season of consumption.

Not to worry about me, the most dangerous thing around me today will be the stuffing, mash potatoes, and gravy.

I'd enjoy a discussion 'round a fireplace, with some single malt, that went into European diseases and technology, circa 1500 AD. The Iroquois, at least, seemed to have a socially more advance culture than the Europeans of their epoch. If you get a chance "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared M. Diamond, is a real page turner on the subject.

But then, when the British and the French divided up the Ottoman Empire, they made sure that each new state would be a house dividedagainst it's self. If they somehow managed to united, then we would send in a Kermit Roosevelt.

Tex-mex? You mean like "felixnavidad" (my cat likes to sail)?

Ah, the joys of family life;-)

Sunny and chilly here in northern California as well.

Considering that at least a third of the world lives on less than $2/day (the reasons for which can be discussed over the above single malt), I'd say you are an unqualified success:-)

Me, I'm giving thanks for a full belly and four days off-work to play it off.

Good on you (as St. Molly used to say):-)

I think Doofy meant to say "the wrong end of the grass" and not, as I said, "the right side of the grass", but that dicotyledon stuff can be very confusing. He must have a ferocious appetite by now;-)

All the best to you and yours.

Reply to
Billy

We shall be feasting tomorrow.

You want a REAL downer, subscribe to one of the many "freecycle" lists on Yahoogroups.com

I just made a major commitment for volunteer time due to that. The re-distribution of discard linens from where I work. I've done it in the past, just need to do it more. :-)

Less stuff for the landfill too. I have no idea why they never asked me again after the first 3 truckloads a few years ago. Probably did not want to Impose on me. My fault I did not follow up on that or I could have been doing it all this time. There were other "issues" at the time with a new boss and rotating shifts.

So many needy, so little time and money...

I'm sure it'd be delightfully educational! I was never interested in history as a teen. Not sure if it was due to the undiagnosed Hypothyrodism, but now at age 45, I've developed somewhat of a passion for it.

Hindsight is always 20-20.

Mexican dialects can be every bit as bad as Aussie slang vs. American slang speaking "English"! Working with a lot of Tex-mex hispanics and their kids taking formal "Spanish" in school has been enlightening.

To both of us.

ROFL! Indeed! Makes for great future stories tho'! That's the beauty of it.

I like it. :-) And, that tidbit helped to keep it on topic. I can now remove the excess Confederate jasmine and lay down the new cloth weed barrier.

That stuff is a bitch to control once it gets established.

Heh! No kidding! There are still people even LOCALLY living under freeway bridges, and in dirt floored shacks.

Gloat why dontcha. I work in health care. There are no days off. ;-) C'est la' vie!

But, no complaints. This week is back at work after 2 weeks off. After working at one hospital for 20 years, the annual vacation time accumulates.

Just volunteered for more. Winter cometh and the "wanted" posts are coming thick and fast on Hillcountryfreecycle. I have time and a pickup truck.

Plus I dislike the waste. Our only local thrift store cleans out excess inventory by tossing it in their parking lot dumpster. Clothing, shoes, toys... you name it. I should raid it more! And give it away. Gods knows _I_ don't need it! I have two storage sheds of crap I need to "freecycle"!

To hell with garage sales. They are not really worth the effort.

Fortunately, the store does not give a rats ass if people raid said dumpster.

Whatever works. I'm sharing my ground beef with Persephone:

Peace babe. :-)

Reply to
Omelet

Good book; most of his are. Diamond is good at the "big picture" even when some of the details are dated.

Since you seem to be open to the "new understanding" of the American past, you might enjoy "1491" by Charles Mann.

Hope your Thanksgiving is a happy one.

Reply to
Melodious Thunk

Funniest interchange I ever heard at a 7-11 was between a Mexican trying to tell an Afghani what cigarettes he wanted.

"Maaboalice" "I'm sorry" "Maaboalice" "Uh" Pointing, "Maaboalice"

Marlboro Lights was what I was able to figure out.

East College Ave. in Santa Rosa.

Reply to
doofy

That is funny. :-)

The funniest thing that ever happened to me was being put down by a Brit' when I was in college.

I made a (not derogatory) comment about his accent, trying to see if he was from England or Australia. He had a strong Cockney accent.

He told me that _I_ was the one with the accent.

He spoke English.

Reply to
Omelet

The bridges here have had waiting lists for at least the last fifteen years.

Rotating shifts in a health facility? Rotating shifts, as I'm sure your aware, are bad for your health.

Good luck on the BiL's turkey.

Peace, right back at ya.

Reply to
Billy

I'm curious. Why are the linens thrown away? Where are they from that they can't be washed and reused?

Reply to
Manelli Family

:-(

That boss lasted 3 years before they fired his sorry ass. Rotating shifts destroy people both physically and mentally.

Thanks! I just hope he does not over-cook it. That's the biggest mistake most people make with those birds.

And soon to be... Merry Yule!

Reply to
Omelet

They are beginning to wear out or have minor faults, or are not "facility" linens (they come in with patients from nursing homes or EMS units), small stains, etc.

I think that they also have expiration dates believe it or not.

I have 2 of the most lovely kitchen timers that came from the lab because their calibration dates expired and they were cheaper to replace than to have officially calibrated.

The laundry tech I spoke with today said that they have a LOT of EMS blankets that then need to dump, and winter cometh! I KNOW I can give those away!

Most linen discards do actually find new "homes". It's just a matter of someone wanting to take the time and trouble. I distributed those three pickup truck loads to veterinarians, wildlife rescue, the local animal shelter, and (since we did re-sort them), the local youth and women's shelter. Some are in better shape than others.

They never gave them to me "dirty", they were always washed/cleaned too!

Lots of waste in industry in general and Health Care is no exception. Some of those linens are even going to Mexico and Honduras...

Reply to
Omelet

Asking waiter at a chinese restaurant what beer they had: "Mirror. Mirror Rite."

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I went into a Chinese restaurant in Ireland about 10 years ago. The waiter was a chinese fella in his early 20's probably. I asked him what they used to thicken their sauces, and in a very strong Irish brogue, he said "Cornstaaaaaarch". Threw me for a loop looking at him and then hearing that accent. Then he asked me if I wanted my brocolli beef for chips (fries) or over rice. I told him "rice, but give me the chips on the side".

That just file like too many cultural upsets in a row.

Reply to
doofy

That should read "if I wanted my brocolli beef over chips or over rice".

That should read "That just felt like..."

Tryptophan induced obfuscatory scrivenery.

Reply to
doofy

I think it's a great idea to recycle these things as you are doing. God bless.

Reply to
Manelli Family

Hey, many moons ago, I went with my husband and inlaws to Germany. My inlaws were born in Germany but left of the usual reason in the 30's....

Hotel lunch room, the other three have ordered in German and I've managed to order 80% of my lunch in German. But I can't answer a question about how I want my sandwich, so the waiter switches from flawless German to English with a faint British accent. I smile and shrug and thank him profusely...

My mother in law decides to compliment him on his English.

Well, ma'm I'd hope so, I was born in Dublin.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak