Happy Solstice

Page 2 of 2
On 12/24/07 1:30 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au, "Billy"

Actually, for me, wine price doesn't always equal taste (in fact on the night in question, my $5 bottle was much nicer than either of the 2 $15 bottles). But when it comes to my cognac or single malts, the equation is much more linear to a point (around $50). The difference between a 12 year old and 15 year old scotch is amazing.
βœ–

Age in the barrel can make good distillate great. In 1990, in Gascony, we drank 15 yr. old Armagnac for $20/btl and it was heavenly. The Armagnac I have found in the US, I would only use for liniment. In 1999, the price for two glasses of the 20 yr. old Fine Champagne Cognac at a little restaurant in Paris, cost more than the meal that preceded it. I've never checked it out but I am told that because Calvados is not a big seller, that it is possible to find farmers who have barrels of 100 year old Calvados out in their barns:-o Next time.
At one point in my life I could justify the prices for such excesses as tuition, but I know it now, and I can no longer justify the price, not that I don't appreciate it, when it is offered.
The problem is that price isn't an indicator of quality. The really good stuff is always expensive but more often than not price is based on reputation, packaging, or nothing. Conversely, occasionally, quality can be found among the plonk. Gallo, Korbel, and Christian Bros. brandy I reserve for cooking.
Next monday evening will find my liver and I (and my sweetie) ensconced in front of our wood burning stove, bravely facing what will probably be another year of national disasters, and hoping for a few personal triumphs (no matter how small).
Let's rock.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
βœ–
In article

Niacin... <shudders>
Do some googling for studies on Milk Thistle. It's better and it's not just anecdotal.
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
βœ–

Calm sweet lady, it is more than antidotal.
http://cms.skidmore.edu/health/education/Alcohol_And_Drugs/alcohol-and-nu trition.cfm
First, we are having some fun here and perhaps exaggerating a bit.
Ethanol is great fun for some of us, and a catastrophe for others. Some of us rejoice in it, at the peril of others. I work in wineries. Needless to say, there are no alcoholics. I don't say that derisively, if you have that weakness, you can't function in a winery. I don't wish to exalt ethanol. All I can say is that it is fun for ME. Hell, your the one who doesn't want to be PC. That's all:-)
I tried to grow some milk thistle this year but it fell victim to the "hounds from hell". We have a long front fence and the unfortunate plant laid along the shortest trajectory from one end of the fence to the other. Trample, trample, trample.
What was it that Hunter Thompson said, "Some people think of their bodies as temples. I think of mine as an amusement park."
Laisse le bon temps roulι.
Happy solstice :-)
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
βœ–
In article

Alcohol abuse is no joke. I know that. ;-)

But there are (imho) many more that tend to depend on it for relaxation whether or not they want to admit it to themselves. Therefore, nutritional support is a very good idea and not hard to accomplish. Vitamin B complex, Milk thistle and other anti-oxidants are beneficial.
"Functional alcoholism" is second only to caffeine addiction as a very common factor in ill health in the US, and perhaps a good part of the world.
Except for maybe sugar addiction.

Sounds like you have a Border Collie, or something similar. <g> I do too. Fortunately, it's not expensive to purchase.

<lol>
A line from the movie "S.W.A.T." iirc. :-)

Indeed! :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
βœ–

Right on, right on. A McNabb he is (a short haired border collie). Black and white in motion. When he runs out of hill, he continues rising for another three or four steps. Considering his foster sister is twice his size (ein Schaferhund), it is good that he can out run her.
They are both very intelligent. What irritates me is when they (a.k.a. "Hounds from Hell") sit together and whisper to each other, while looking at me, and chuckling all the while.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
βœ–
In article

They never stop moving. <g>

;-)
Jewely's yard companion is a Pembroke Corgie.
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
βœ–
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:37:28 -0500, Cheryl Isaak

When I was a practicing alcoholic and would wind up still drunk and hung over at the same time (for work as a dishwasher at the Chinese Restaurant) they'd give me black tea with salt. Worked every time.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'm as transparent as that, am I? Humph;-)
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
βœ–
In article

Merry Yule... :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
βœ–
Billy wrote:

had time to write anything lately.....but happy solstice anyway....<gbseg> and Happy Yule to all and hopefully the new year will bring incredible things to all of us. I am gnashing at the bit with not knowing what or where I'm going with the displacement after January 3rd when they sell my house from underneath me. Digging up perennials seems useless...........but it's good therapy. I've cut back the Deutzia and will dig it up and put it into a pot in a couple of days and winter it at a friends along with other plants I just can't seem to part with. Still packing, and in the middle of that, I'm working a full time job as a baker and all round kitchen person at a retirement village 17 miles away from where I am at for now. I come home a nub........., gather my wits and third and fifth wind and cook, do a little packing if I don't fall asleep on my feet and go to bed like some old farmer's wife........but in the wise words of "Weezie" in Steele Magnolia's" "that which does not kill us, only serves to make us stronger" sigh......right now I'm about 90! it's cold outside and we're safe and warm and there will be a Christmas dinner and some small things for Boxing day in honor of James and Patrick who are now a huge part of my life and new family. My love to all my friends here on the garden newsgroup. Please bear with me as I get my life in order. I promise to communicate when things are more settled. I appreciate each and every one of you. You are very precious and dear to me and I couldn't make it without the moral support and love that I feel coming at me from all over the world.
In the middle of it all, I used all the suet and filled all the baskets outside the bedroom window, the thistle socks are being emptied as I don't have black sunflower seed (it's too dear to buy right now, and I already had the thistle and suet as a stash). the sounds of the birds as they scrabble over the pickings, their fussing at me since I dug up the clump of Heavy Metal ornamental grass and it's sitting there beside the shepherd's hook feeder pole reminds me that where I wind up will never be as populated as it is right now and I relish and cherish every moment. I count at least seven different birds at the feeders and in the remains of the Faerie gardens which look stripped but still partially intact somehow........ While I can........
Madgardener, up on the ridge, Back in FAerie Holler, overlooking English Mountain in EAstern Tennessee near a drought stricken Douglas Lake in Dandridge, Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36
Add pictures here
βœ–
Billy wrote:

[...]

For many, a time for self-reflection. Careful when examining the core of your beliefs. You may not emerge the same person. Dave
Add pictures here
βœ–

Especially if you meditate with specific herbals. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
βœ–

mostly;-)
I have learned that I no longer need to punish, deceive, or compromise myself, unless I want to stay employed.

or cold, or tired, or hungry, ect. The rest of the stuff seems kinda iffy (IMHO).

seem to be a number of personalities in here and they all say they are me. There is the one who wants to get into shape. There is the one who likes to eat and drink. There is the one who wants to be strong and brave, and there is the one who wants to lock the doors, and line the walls with sandbags, ect. Whenever I open my mouth, I am constantly surprised at who shows up to voice their (my) opinion.

Happy Hol . . . uh,
Yuletide Season :-)
--

Billy