Happy Solstice

Page 1 of 2
Happy Solstice :-)
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
Billy wrote:

Short day means long night - for drinking ;)

It _is_ Saturday! <g>
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
On 12/22/07 12:52 PM, in article vKudnZZa3NRk0_DanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, "Frank"

Don't mention drinking - not after that last bottle we opened last night - after three excellent merlots, the fourth was a dog and I have a tight head now...

Vitamin B-12. And Milk Thistle. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
On 12/22/07 2:39 PM, in article omp snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com, "Omelet"

Lots of juice and herb tea.
Should get some B Complex, supposedly it will help my insomnia.
But milk thistle - that grows here...

It also comes in Extract capsules at both health food stores and in the herbal section at Wal-mart. It has numerous health benefits, no side effects, and is especially beneficial in protecting the liver from alcohol abuse in many people. It's not 100%, but actual research on it has shown it to be promising.
I know it works for me. ;-)
It's also helped me with insomnia and, most surprising, my chronic issues with heartburn.
I DO want to grow it but have not seen any around for awhile. I need to order some seeds. Supposed to make an excellent salad green and the entire plant is edible. I'd like to try the young blooms. They are supposed to taste a lot like artichoke if picked at the right stage and steamed.
Considering Artichokes are naught but a giant thistle, it makes sense. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

Fortunately, I never drink too much. I pass out first.

Not that I would know but you might try niacin. It maintain the levels of alcohol dehydrogenase, the first step in detoxifying, uh, so I've been told;-)
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
On 12/22/07 3:35 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au, "Billy"

I assumed you never entered de-tox. ;)
I rarely have more than a glass or two of anything. And that last bottle didn't seem to be the quality of the first two. That's my position and I'm sticking to it...
Today - just good healthy food and drink.

That is why you start with the best wine first. With any luck , you won't notice any defects in the last wine:-) Conversely, you may not appreciate the good qualities of the good wine, if it is served last.

--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
On 12/22/07 10:50 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au, "Billy"

Actually, it went good bottle (a split), decent bottle, really good bottle (just by accident) and then that not so good one...

So, just to make sure we have our nomenclature straight, you started with a 187 ml bottle of bubbly and, then proceeded on to three 750 ml bottles?
At the risk of appearing a wee bit of a debaucher, I have noticed, that with advancing age, on those occasions when I open more than three bottles, that invariably one of them is off. I know this because the next day I feel like hell.
Anyway, the Holiday Season is looming in the headlights. It will soon be past us. So if you are going to be imprudent, the next eight days offer the best window of opportunity. So, "laisse le bon temps roule". Your most embarrassing event of the year will be over and you can settle back in to your comfortable and predictable habits.
Yeah, Brothers and Sisters, don't forget the parable of Mark Twain and his Aunt Hattie. Mark had been laid low, very low, and was up close to death's door, when the doctor said,"too many children jumping on the bed". Uh, ah, humm, actually that's another story. What the doctor said was, "Mark, you gotta cut out your smokin', an' drinkin', and swearin' or you're gonna' die". Well sir, for a while Mark cut out his drinkin', an' smokin', and swearin' and, in good time, he was restored to health.
Shortly afterwards, Mark's Aunt Hattie came down with the exact same symptoms as Mark had had. Mark rushed to her bedside to comfort her, and told her the very same thing as the doctor had told him. Aunt Hattie, Mark said,"You you gotta cut out your smokin', an' drinkin', and swearin' Aunt Hattie or you're gonna' die". Aunt Hattie gave Mark a sharp look and said, "Mark, you know I don't smoke, or drink, or swear". Well the up-shot of it all was that Aunt Hattie died.
The moral of the parable is that it's good to have ballast that you can throw overboard in bad times :-)
Now, if the cognac will just last until January.
Happy New Year (Winter Solstice to Winter Solstice)
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
In article

Glogg
1 qt Dry Red Wine 1 qt Port Wine 1 Cup raisins 3 T Orange Peel 3 Cardamon seeds crushed 9 whole cloves 1 stick cinnamon 1 1/2 cup Aquavit 1 Cup sugar 1 Cup Almonds 3 whole figs
Rest 13 hours
Serve Warm . You can use Rye if the fire of life aka Aquavit is not about. I make it with Tawny port.
Below a bit of more info as there is always more.
http://www.manitouheights.com/rms/gloegg.shtml
Good Yul!
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
"Energy is the only life and is from the Body and Reason is the bound

No -the split was a merlot in "convenience size" with one neighbor, prior to dinner, the rest with 5 neighbors after dinner....

I'm not likely to have anything beyond a little scotch on Xmas Eve for a while - this was highly unusual for me

Snicker - lot

What's your pleasure? I like Remy, but haven't had some in the house in quite a while

I'm not real fussy. Lately it has been Landy ($15) or Remy "Petit Champagne" ($19). For something similar that is domestic (Germain-Robin), I'd be looking at at least $30. But after the holidays it will be back to Jaques Bonnet ($8.69) and my budget:-(
Alles Gute,
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
In article

For sparkling wine, we like Ballatoire. ;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

Bella, bella . We're having triffle for desert. Have you tried Quady's Black Muscat (Elysium) or their Orange Muscat (Essencia)? I think you'd like it.
Joyeux Nel et une Bonne Anne
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
In article

I love Muscat wines. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
On 12/23/07 5:48 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au, "Billy"

Well, I got really spoiled in college - lots of bad beers/wine/liquor and then was introduced to the good stuff. I'll buy the good stuff and eke it out; and do without if I need the $$$ for some kid related expense.
Cheryl

I like to think that I have a paisano attitude towards my table. The bread and the wine don't have to be gold medal winners, but it has to be there. Cheap-skate oenophiles also take great pride in finding under priced wines, and buying them by the cases to hold them over until the next discovery. Then comes the question of good and gooder. Chateau Ausone sells for $800/btl but would I enjoy it 130 times more than the little Bordeaux and Cotes du Rhone that I enjoy at $5/btl? Lastly there is the question of gourmet vs. gourmand. I, wholeheartedly, embrace the later group. It would appear that you are a member of the former;-)
Allons voir, si le vin est bon.
Joyeux Noel et une Bonne Annee
--

Billy