Hanging plants

Page 2 of 3
On 3/4/2008 6:05 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

You might also consider "ground cover" roses. These are small, shrub-like roses that grow more outward than upward. They are larger than miniature roses. In a hanging basket without the ground to support the thin branches, they should hang down. Some will bloom almost continuously throughout the year.
I'm looking at a catalogue from Otto & Sons in Fillmore (Ventura County, CA). They list the following as suitable for coastal climates:
'Flower Carpet' (in pink, apple blossom, red, white, and yellow varieties)
'Sun Runner' (yellow)
Note: I am not recommending Otto & Sons. I don't know the quality of their plants. I got their catalogue when I made my first purchase there today.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Thank you David, I'll keep that in mind but this year i've committed to pansies. I've made a note of your suggestion and if the pansies don't work out I'll revisit your suggestion. Thank you for your advice.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi

pansies? i thought it was petunias. if you find any trailing pansies i want to know about them too! :) BTW, which variety of petunias were you going with? i like the old style ones at Richter's. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

You should have been around when I had the Sun rising in the west:-) Petunias it is: Old Fashioned Vining Petunia $2.75/packet
I looked at Richter's site but a search for petunias came up empty.
You can thank Charlie for the URL http://www.seedsavers.org/prodinfo.asp?numberS (OG)
I can hardly wait until May, when I can be out in my garden, but it seems gardening is actually preparing to garden by preparing for the future.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
ct.net.au:

darn. i wanted some trailing pansies ;)

maybe i was thinking of Seedsavers... see, not just you. Richter's has madder & woad, which i need for the dyer's garden.

thank you Charlie! i saw some tomatoes i want there too.

i can start seeds indoors in May. maybe some lettuces on the plastic wrapped porch in May... lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

?????
Why don't you just sink a post in front of me? I walked right into that one.
I peeled back the edge enough to peek into another ancient universe that may become new again. Feel like I'm putting down roots myself.
You're a sometimes weaver then, are you Lee?
You've made my day, thanks:-)
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
In article

I've got a weird wonderful booklet. Rocky Mountain Dye Plants by Anne Bliss. It is a ringed booklet.
Library of Congress #76-376143 Year 1976
Lee
If you want it send me your snail mail to snipped-for-privacy@snip.net and I'll give it to you. Would be good to know someone can use it.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather

I'll be writing. Thanks.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
In article

Already promised to lee next week.
Perhaps you folks can share if it is of value.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

In article

Na. It'll have a good home.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi

somehow this post never hit my server. if Bill hadn't quoted it, i'd never have seen it... i *can* weave. i would love a floor loom (or a jack loom). i have a small tapestry loom that is good for both fiber & bead weaving. mostly i knit right now, but i'd like to weave rugs. i like to mess with fiber, both animal & vegetable (you can spin milkweed, you know). spinning, dying, making it into something. not necessarily useful, but sometimes just amusing or cute. i do a lot of things. gardening, woodworking, fiber stuff, beads, hot glass, brewing, baking. i'd do more probably if i got away from the computer more ;)

? well, good. i like learning new stuff & i need to keep my hands busy. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Seen this? http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/24076 Vegetable Dyes by Ethel M. Mairet

no, i hadn't. thank you! the chapter on lichen dyes is particularly interesting. the book i have is Dyer's Garden by Rita Buchanan, who is relatively local (same state). Dyer's Garden may be out of print now, mine is over 10 years old, but i noticed she has a new Weaver's Garden book out last time i was at Border's. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

You're welcome.
I have been well pleased with them for many years. They are one of only four seedsmen I use any more. If you want another large selection of heirloom tomatoes, check out rareseeds.com.
Charlie
On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 21:25:04 -0600, Charlie wrote:

OK, cough it up. You named two, who would the others be?
Waterboarding is reasonable when used to extract supplier info...

i get nice heirloom seeds from Lisa at amishlandseeds.com it's a one person operation, but IME service is prompt, or she communicates delays. i ordered some green tomatoes from her last spring & she sent the ones i ordered with a note that they tend to have germination problems & a free full packet of another green variety she thought might be better suited. oddly, my germination rate with the 'difficult' variety was 99%, and both varieties were wonderful, although i think i'm still not so great at telling when they're ripe ;) lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Thanks Lee. I have been trying to simplify my life and you just complicated it a bit. I spent the last thirty minutes nosing about her site. Of course I found things I *need*......
I know what you mean about the greenies. I love the flavor and I try and go by feel as well as trying to identify by color.
Charlie
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 09:08:50 -0600, Charlie wrote:

If you want to find things you "need", I know a purveyor with a seed catalog that is the size of a paperback. Amazing things that I never knew I had to have. J. L. Hudson, Seedsman http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net /
It'll drive ya nuts.

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 13:28:04 -0600, Charlie wrote:

Well shucks, you're welcome. ;-)