Hanging plants

Page 1 of 3
I have four hanging baskets that I want to plant with something. It's a toss up between strawberries and flowers. I could us some advice on the type of strawberry or some help in finding flowering plants that will cascade. Nasturtium is one choice because it already grows like a weed here. I'm in USDA 9b, 70 miles north of San Francisco, in the costal hills, the baskets will get 6 - 8 hrs of full sun and some partial sun.
Thanks for any help.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
Billy wrote:

I tried strawberries in hanging baskets and even with netting birds were a BIG problem. They also produce fewer berries than plants grown in the ground. If you like small tomatoes there are several varieties that do very well in hanging baskets.
There are many, many plants that do well in hanging baskets. I, personally, don't like Nasturtiums in baskets because, around here, they look like crap after the middle of July. I would go to your local garden store and look around and see what plants and colors you like and talk to local gardeners in your area and see what they recommend that does well in your area. You might want to take a look at my web site, http://members.iglou.com/brosen/index.html and see all the plants that I have grown in hanging baskets. It might give you a few ideas. Around here, Petunias are very popular and the cascading ones do very well in baskets.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years
In article

Want some fun, plant one of them with peanuts.
Seriously. :-)
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

More fun planted with pot! hehe
In article

I've been potted before. I'm just trying to avoid being planted;-)
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi

From whence comes the merriment?
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
In article

They way they grow and seed. It just looks neat. If it works like it should, you'll get the peanuts to develop hanging underneath the basket. Leaf-wise, they are a pretty plant anyway with nice little flowers. The fertile flowers then sprout this spike that shoves the developing seed pod underground.
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.
In article

How about Impatiens ? We love double impatiens. Think roses with no thorns that you can cut and root over winter.
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1994/5-11-1994/impat.html
http://www.gardenmediagroup.com/SBRelease5_6_02.htm
http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=double+impatien s&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi
or http://preview.tinyurl.com/3as8jj
Bill who wishes they were edible
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather

It seems near the house, where there isn't much continuous Sun, they would be OK but I am planning on having them out in the garden in full Sun for 6 - 8 hours/day. Would they be OK or would they fry?
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
In article

They would fry most likely. They like shade and moisture. Still a micro climate of your design may help them give you lots of color.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather
In article

Still I've been looking for some color on the front porch. Sounds like they may be the ticket for that.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
In article

My mom always planted petunias. They always did fine in direct sunlight, but they don't cascade like you want.
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

Last summer we planted old fashioned vining petunias in hanging containers and they do cascade several feet. They are not as heavily flowered as the hybrid types, but they are highly perfumed. We had ours hanging both in full sunlight and some in partial sun...six hours morning direct sun.
Care Charlie

I'd never heard of those. :-) I'll have to look for them.
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

No need to look... :-)
Here they are......you have to scroll down to them, the petunia page address won't display when I paste the address....???? Who knows.
http://seedsavers.org/products.asp?deptI&pagenumber=3&sort_on=&sort_by Seedsavers is a great organization to support and their seeds are excellant.
Care Charlie

Thanks Charlie!
That was very kind. :-)
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

;-) Glad you noticed. I'm tryin'!
Charlie

Cheers!
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

How 'bout a small arbor to provide top shade, but still be in the garden? My choice, with hangers on the deck, is almost always something that attracts hummingbirds.
Good luck
cheers
oz
On 3/4/2008 9:41 AM, Billy wrote:

A former neighbor had an azalea with double white flowers in a hanging planter. It grew out and down, almost hiding the planter; and it bloomed most of year. This was in an area that got afternoon sun with 100F+ summer temperatures, so I don't think a lack of shade would be a problem in your area. However, depending on the size of the planter and the potting mix, it might require daily watering. Unfortunately, I have no idea what variety of azalea it was.
As for impatiens, you should inquire at a local nursery. In your area, you might be able to grow it in full sun.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean