Gunnera - winter care?

I picked-up a gunnera rhizome(?) at a sale for 99 cents in late June. I planted it in 3 gallon pot. It tool a LONG time to sent up any growth. The plant produced the leaves, the largest was about 4 inches across. Since I am in zone 6, I know that it can't survive outside. My only windows for this plant are north or east facing. Can I keep this in the pot and let it go dormant in my basement or should I remove the rhizome from the pot and store it like I do my cannas and dahlias?
Vox Humana wrote:

I would leave it in the pot or probably better yet would be to put it into a bigger pot and store it in your unheated basement.

USDA Zone 8

I will leave it in the pot. The utility area of my basement stays about 60F, which hasn't proven a problems for storing my mandevilla, brugmansia, or bananas.
Any thoughts about why it didn't grow very large? The rhizome was about the size of my fist or a largish potato.

It's a mere baby. They take a few years, rapidly expanding the root size, before they can start producing those giant leaves. Fully grown ones here have huge roots about the size of my desk, each individual leaf is at least 6ft across. A single mature plant takes up about as much space as a pickup truck..
I hope you have a big basement... :-)
Janet. (Scotland)

the
Oh no! Maybe I can find a sheltered place outside where I can baby it. I understand it is hardy to zone 7 and I am in zone 6b.
Vox Humana wrote:

Last week I built a hardware cloth cage lined with landscape fabric and filled with sawdust over mine to protect it from the cold.

USDA Zone 8
Travis Vox Humana wrote:
"Janet Baraclough" snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk wrote in message
Vox Humana wrote: I picked-up a gunnera rhizome(?) at a sale for 99 cents in late June.
Any thoughts about why it didn't grow very large? The rhizome was about the size of my fist or a largish potato.
It's a mere baby. They take a few years, rapidly expanding the root size, before they can start producing those giant leaves. Fully grown ones here have huge roots about the size of my desk, each individual leaf is at least 6ft across. A single mature plant takes up about as much space as a pickup truck..
I hope you have a big basement... :-)
Oh no! Maybe I can find a sheltered place outside where I can baby it. I understand it is hardy to zone 7 and I am in zone 6b.
Last week I built a hardware cloth cage lined with landscape fabric and filled with sawdust over mine to protect it from the cold.
USDA Zone 8
Vox Humana wrote:

If your basement is 60F that may be too warm for it to go dormant. It probably stayed small because it was restricted by the size of the pot, not enough water and/or nutrients, and the short length of your summer.
This summer was only my second year growing Gunnera so I don't know all that much about them.

USDA Zone 8