Gunnera

I think that's the name anyway...has anyone grown this before? I have a large pond and I want to plant some things that cover up some of the ugly areas around the edge, and also create some private areas. I saw Gunnera in a catalog and it looks neat. What is your experience with it? Does it really grow as big as they say it does? Is it as pretty as in the catalogs?
Thanks! Angie Boonies of East Texas
junkyardcat wrote:

They are a beautiful plant. They take a few years to establish and get to full size. They need lots of water and partial shade. Fertilize 3 times a year.

USDA Zone 8b
Travis Wrote:

Hi Angie, Great advice from Travis. Here's some sites that should be helpful a well. http://www.worldplants.com/gunnera.htm http://tinyurl.com/4uxpz
New
-- Newt

I don't know what it could do in your climate, but in mine (cool and wet) gunnera manicata grows big. Seriously big. On a mature plant, one leaf is big enough to be a rain-umbrella for several adults sheltering underneath it. A mature plant might have a dozen leaves or more, each 6ft stalk thicker than my arm and spikily rough, carrying a leaf the size of a tabletop. The flower spikes are weird, like a sort of pinkish christmas tree, but not what I'd call pretty. They skulk underneath the leaf canopy so you only see them if you're there too.
Where there's enough space, they are very spectacular, handsome wetland/bog plants during summer. I wouldn't plant one where space is limited, or where people might brush past.
Janet (West Scotland)
they are thugs. Water celery comes in green and a variegated pink, white, green and gets up to 18" high and is great for water filters too. much easier plant. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/puregold / WEBSITE AT: http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html www.drsolo.com Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE