Growing your own Noble Fir Christmas Tree?

I heard Noble Firs are really expensive (up to $750!), so I'd like to grow my own. I am in southern California. Do they grow OK here? Do they need a lot of water or any special care? How long does it take to grow them to 3', 4', 6', and 7' tall? I found a kit for sale online where they ship you one noble fir seedling for $20. That's still too expensive. Then I found packets of seeds for a few bucks. I'll go for that.

certainly not $750 or even anywhere close.
2) Look around, do you see any Noble firs growing wild in your neighborhood? No? Then it probably won't be easy for you to grow any, will it?
Noble grow quite well in the Pacific Northwest, in higher elevations, not LA or San Diego or Palm Springs.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Christmas growers buy seedlings which have been transplanted and will yield marketable trees in about 10 to 15 years. They are typically 5" to 15" tall when planted. Such a source is Carino Nurseries in PA. http://www.carinonurseries.com/spoffers.htm
As you can see, the transplanted seedlings are about $5 each. Christmas tree farms buy them bare root in quantities of 1000s for about $1 each.
The Noble Fir is a true fir that grows at high elevations in the Cascade Mountains in Oregon and Washington. They will not do well in Southern California.
You could probably grow Fraser Fir or Grand Fir if you can irrigate it.
Dear "Wizzer",
E-mail me directly and I'll give you some solid, professional advice about your Christmas tree dilemma for free.
Geoff Kegerreis Registered Forester Timberline Forestry Consulting LLC http://www.timberlineforestry.com