Growing Sugar cane in East Texas

Does anyone know how to grow sugarcane? We live in Mount Pleasant TX (East Texas) and want to grow a bunch of it around the outer edges of our pond, but can't seem to find any info about how to get started. Any help is greatly appreciated:)

Angie

Reply to
junkyardcat

1st, find a neighbor that will sell you some cane that he bedded in over the winter. Next, till the soil to a soft loam. Dig a trench 6 inches wide by 6 inches deep and lay the cane stalks end to end in the trench and cover. Viola, this fall, sugar cane!!

Tom J at least that's the way we do it in south GA

Reply to
Tom J