Growing radishes? ? ?

There's a definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.

I guess that applies to me. For years, I have planted radishes -- in various times, in various depths, in various locations. I follow the directions on the packet to the Nth degree. No matter where or when I plant, I only get spindly stems -- never a radish.

As I recall, kids in the fifth grade plant radish seed as their science project, and often are successful.

Am I doing something wrong, or am I just crazy?

Reply to
Ray

Check the viability of your seed.

More here use the general info and fine tune with local help.

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters

Thanks Bill. It can't be the seed, because I get a new packet every year. And they always come up -- just no radishes, only spindly stems

Reply to
Ray

Radish needs to grow quickly but not too quickly or the roots will crack, Radish likes *cold wet* weather, and full sun. Once the ground becomes too warm and dry radish grows too slowly so produces spindly woody roots... same with insufficient sun. Also the growing medium needs to be light and loamy. Radish seed once planted can easily sustain periods of hard frost before germination, and in fact will benefit... so sow radish earlier than all other veggies, and with sucession sowings about a week apart.... same in reverse come fall.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Thanks -- I'll try that, and if it doesn't work, to hell with radishes.

Reply to
Ray

Andy comments:

Don't give up if you get good radish greens. They can be cooked just like turnip greens, and can make a nice slad when eaten raw with a little dressing.

Furthermore, if you get some whole radishes, they can be cooked and are very much like those little potatoes you get in restaurants. Put them in boiling water for 8-10 minutes, and they change character completely --- the "hotness" disappears, and the texture is that of a boiled potato. I cook the greens and the radishes together, after chopping the greens.

I like radishes because, around here, I can get 5 packs of seeds for a dollar, and they grow in 3-4 weeks. Sandy soild is very good for them. This is North Texas .

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
AndyS

Weirder and weirder. The greens, not the pods?

Reply to
Billy