Growing poppies legal?

Page 3 of 3
...curtsey...
opined:

Why do you ask?
Are you intending to grow opium poppies and go into the heroin trade?
Which poppies is it of which you inquire?

do not want to go to prison

not really, i have not ever taken any recreational drugs

I have some poppy seeds in my pantry, I do not even know if they are still alive. I put some on a wet paper towel, will see if they are dead or not.

char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main()";main()
Cereus-validuswrote:

they roast them before import. Are they black? roasted. or brown? unroasted, probably very old.

or roll in it..you may indeed test positive at your next drug screening.
Its a fairly common false positive, and I believe that the followup test to determine the exact substance will show it to be the seeds, but many companies dont pay for the followup, and you may be screwed.
Gunner
That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.         - George Orwell
Did you see that on Mythbusters too?
This is one non-myth that has serious consequences for many people's careers.
Cereus-validus

On Sat, 15 May 2004 17:51:17 GMT, "Cereus-validus"

that I knew were clean were getting positives. One of the managers would bring in poppy seed buns and bagels in the morning. I did the followup to find out what the hell was happening.

Ayup, which is why I mentioned it.
Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.         - George Orwell

And the common drug for Asthma, albuterol, will show up as a false positive for marijuana.
Kirk
"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly

I used to get positives for opiates pretty regular , from the pain killers I used , codine sets off al kinds of bells and whistles aparently .

On 15 May 2004 12:21:01 GMT, Ignoramus12481

Many species, only a few make drugs.
Remember they put poppy seeds on bread rolls. Obviously legal.
If meat isn't available, seeds are one of the four sources of complementry protein (grain, legume, seeds & nuts, dairy. You might grow the kind used in baking if you think they are pretty enough.
-- W§ mostly in m.s - http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira
On 15 May 2004 12:21:01 GMT, Ignoramus12481

I have seen seed catalogs where seeds for opium type poppies were marked banned for sale in US. Later I saw a listing on ebay for opium poppy seeds which the seller claimed were US legal.

Realy, On Ebay. I love poppies, and would love to grow large opium poppies.
The largest urban planting of opium poppies I ever saw was in a catholic church court yard. Then one summer day, they all suddenly disappeared, never to be seen again!!!

Ignoramus12481 wrote:

Of course they are legal! [wink wink] IANAL, but it would only be illegal to grow them if you knowingly grew a species that produces opium, with intent to harvest the opium. Breadseed poppies are an opium poppy, but I read somewhere that they only produce miniscule and insignificant amounts of opium (about as much as any other poppy) in North American climates, so you should be fine [wink wink]
Or just grow shirley poppies or oriental poppies instead of Papaver somniferum.
Sorry, I seem to have something in my eye, Bob

I read through the posts. Going off on a tangent to this thread, now that the technique of gene splicing is being taught even in dumbed down high schools today, how long until some of the smarter college types splice the opium gene into something common like dandelions that also have a milky latex sap? There is already discussion of gene splicing THC from marijuana into other plants but this discussion was on poppies. This is the thing that would blind side the DEA.
As a survivalist I can see a future need for a source of pain killers to deal with medical trauma or incurrable conditions.
Bernadette
P. somniferens can be obtained in a whole galaxy of colours. Single and double to fully double. The content of opium is minuscule even in a perfect climate and the number needed to obtain a 'mouse dropping' amount is tremendous. Best Wishes Brian.

Ignoramus12481 wrote:

It is illegal if you KNOW that you can use them for opium. If you are ignorant of this fact, then it is not illegal to grow them. Another case where the government punishes knowledge.