Growing orchids

I live in the Northwest and have an east-west facing home. What is the best Orchid for a beginner and What should I know first to be successful?
Thank you for any advice.
Dee
the_best snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dee) wrote:

Cymbidiums are the easiest. That's all I know :)
Jan
(Dee) wrote:

I'd change that to Phalaenopsis or moth orchids. They seem to tolerate household conditions and light levels better than most and are the easiest to encourage to rebloom. Thre are many good books on growing orchids and orchid care, also lots of info online if you just a do a search.
pam - gardengal
the_best snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dee) wrote in

Most Phals and Paphs. There are MANY web sites and book on Orchids. Get Orthos "All about orchids" and try these web sites for starters:
http://ladyslipper.com/1stpaph.htm
http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/orchids/info_cites.asp
http://www.orchideen.at/paphs/Paph_do_dont_E.htm
http://www.orchidlady.com /
and check out the orchid forum at:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/orchids
TONS of nice people there too!
Tom
On 16 Feb 2004 14:34:41 -0800, the_best snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dee) wrote:

Try your question on rec.gardens.orchids
Phalaenopsis or moth orchids east is perfect for them. they dont actually need constant moisture and do fine on a wet pebble tray right in the east window. they actually burn in south windows. they also do fine under lights. Ingrid