Growing hops?

Hi there -

My husband is a home brewer and is interested in brewing with his own hops. I've done quite a bit of research on them and know that I need to space the different kinds out between 5 and 10 feet, that they grow 10 to 20 feet tall, and need good draining soil in full sun.

Here's my question... I am going to be planting our 2 or 3 kinds of hops in one part of my back yard, but want the other part of my back yard to still be grass 10 years from now. I've heard that these things spread. Does anyone know if I can plant the hops in large pots and use them like that to make sure they don't spread too far? If it matters, I'm in Cedar Rapids, Iowa which is right on the line of zones 4 and 5.

Shelley

Reply to
Shelley

They should do just fine in containers. I planted roots last year and I had 4-6 foot vines by fall. It usually takes a year or two before the plants become vigorous growers.

If you have a sunny spot, put the plants in the ground and build a sturdy trellis to support them. They will happiest in garden soil.

If youo plan your spot carefully, you could use the hops vines as a screen of sorts.

Check with your local county extensionn office for more details for your area.

Reply to
MC