Growing Herbs

Hello,
I would like to grow some herbs indoors.
Could anyone recommend how I should go about this, and how I could maintain a ready supply of the herbs throughout the year.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Regards
Jane
Is this one of those Cheech & Chong type questions?

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:39:53 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
LMAO zhan
ZHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy New year sugar! Great to see yer post response!! (Damon just got back from Jamaca.........<gbseg>) brought me a postcard and some beautiful Chinese chopsticks and a beautiful carved red Chinese dragon he found in the French Quarters when he jumped ship in Port N'Awlins..............how ya been?????

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:02:40 -0500, "madgardener" <madgard@fairies live herevic.com> wrote:

A happy and healthy new year to you also. I'm doing fine, putting in a lot of hours though. Once in a while I have time to drop in and do a bit of lurking.
A toast to all on the village corner. Hope you all had a good Christmas and/or whichever holiday you celebrate.
zhan
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (Jane) wrote in

1. put dirt in container 2. apply seeds 3. wait 4. wait some more 5. remove cat from vicinity of container 6. wait even more 7. water when dry

All joking aside, growing herbs indoors is not a very satisfactory method. Most houses have insufficient light and humidity for these plants to thrive long term and most herbs become large, mostly woody plants in time, not conducive to windowsill pot growth.
I see you are posting from the UK. Provided you live in a temperate portion of that country, you should be able to grow a pretty wide selection of herbs outdoors year round. The climate in my zone 8 Pacific Northwest garden should be very similar to much of that of Britain and I enjoy rosemary, sage, oregano, thyme, marjoram, and chives year round. Parsley is present in all but the coldest parts of winter and basil is a summer annual.
pam - gardengal
Pam, thank you for your sensibility. No joke.
Pam - gardengal wrote:

--

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
Most herbs require full sun, not from an indoor southern window, but outside in full blasting hot sun. Your attempt will most likely not be satisfactory, but you can try.

I agree. The herbs grown in full sun have a much better flavor than those in a south window. There are a few herbs that will grow in part sun and produce a good flavor. My advise is to pick the sunniest, driest (well drained) area in your yard and plant herbs there. Most don't need much space and seem to grow better on neglect than care. Recently, I have been harvesting fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley for winter-time soups.

Since we've only had 21 inches of water this year, I had to water my garden, today. I hand water because it is such a waste to use sprinklers in any wind, and it's windy. Anyway, to my surprise, the red admiral butterflies are sipping from the lantanas WHICH ARE STILL BLOOMING! The parsley is fabulous is the rosemary, thyme and believe it or not, basil. I have tomatoes in the greenhouse and they are producing amazingly well for greenhouse growing. I'm not all that proficient at growing vegetables.
This year it is my idea to have nothing but herbs on the north side of my pool. It's a raised bed with sandy soil brought in when they built the pool. I already have a bay laurel there, and I have another in the greenhouse waiting to be planted.
Yes, this year will be the year of the herbs.
Victoria

In article snipped-for-privacy@565djk.org says...

Does that mean the Chia herb gardens don't work?
Chia herb gardens are crap and a total waste of money, just like those retarded Chia pets.
They are a lame scam from Mexico.
Screw the free trade agreement if that's the best they can come up with.
says...

outside in

satisfactory, but