Growing grass for cat & artificial light

I have an indoor cat that I grow a small pot of grass in a south facing window for. Lately with the storms, there is no sun light. I have a 2 bulb, 36" flourescent light setup over my model railroad, just shop lights I suppose, and I am wondering if this light would benefit the grass? Thanks.
--
Paul O.

There is sunlight, even if you can't see it. It may not be of the best qualit for growing plants, but it is there.

Yes, but not so much as a a real grow light.

You may want to swap out your grass for catnip.
--
- Billy
'Billy[_10_ Wrote: > ;908098']In article snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com, "Paul" > snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

> (http://tinyurl.com/2p428j )

Hi Paul,
You can get 60 Watt grow light bulbs that fit into regular light sockets. This bulb would be sufficient to cover your pot.
You may also think about getting Gro-Lux light tubes. This way you can put some additional plants under the tubes to benefit from the light.
Bob
--
BobWalsh

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 22:53:50 +0000, BobWalsh

It's far more important for an indoor cat to recieve full sun several hours each day than to chomp grass from which they receive no benefit whatsoever... obviously you're growing that grass selfishly for your own entertainment. Quality cat food contains all the nutrition a cat needs except UV and Vitamin D. Give your cats access to every window so they can follow the sun.
"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

Greens aid digestion & allegedly help give some relief from hairballs. Even if not, cats crave them for some reason, so when you give it to them it is still a "benefit." If you don't provide it, and you have any houseplants, guess what happens next.
Grass as grown for cats or people will do just fine in a southern window, just turn the pot occasionally as the blades reach for the sun, if you like. A few cloudy days isn't going to make any real difference. Been a while since I had a cat, but IIRC soon enough you will be starting a new crop in fresh substrate anyway.