Growing Cucumbers

I have a cucumber vine growing up a fence. It's has the male flowers blossoming as well as the female flowers. It also has what appear to be cucumbers, but the female flower hasn't blossomed on them yet.

How do I go about hand fertilize these and making sure they produce cucumbers and is there a way to tell if they're fertilized.

've noticed that one of the cucumber looking female flowers blossomed, fell off and that particular one is changing color, going from deep green to maybe brown or yellow.

Reply to
Jim Carlock

Hell all I have ever done is throw cuke seeds in the ground under a piece of metal cattle panel thats positioned on about a 45 deg angle add water and let em do their thing. I have always had a ton of cukes hanging down off the bottom other panel, and would not know a female cuke from a male cuke and usually have more cukes than the average family can eat every year all in a very small space in the corner of the garden. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

you have cucumbers. Just wait and they will grow to the size you desire. pick them small.

Reply to
simy1

Thanks to Roy and Simy. Laughed pretty good at Roy's response.

Does anyone know how to keep squirrels away from this kind of stuff.

I had a problem with what I thought were Mexican squirrels, but it appears they were either rats or baby possum. I saw what I thought was a rat outside and I was convinced it was a rat... but the dogs went after a bigger version of it about a month later and the thing rolled over... it looked like a bigger rat... and it played dead. But the more I thought about it, the more I wonder if it was a baby possum. The poodles put a real good scare into it and I'm sure it's still out there, it seems to like the neighbors yard and it is very good at climbing. So I'm wondering if there's a thorny bush or shrub or tree that might work to keep the critters out of the cucumbers. I lost all the corn to whatever combination of critters it was that enfattened and feasted. That rat looked pretty plump. Do rats do that roll over and play possum thing?

Reply to
Jim Carlock