growing bananas indoors -- is this for real?

Hello,

I've seen several websites claiming that you can grow certain varieties of bananas indoors as houseplants. These plants are said to be 5 feet (1.7 m) or shorter, and able to tolerate houehold temperatures.

  1. Is this for real?
  2. What about transportation? Suppose I buy a corm through the mail. Does it hurt for a corm to freeze (in the mail), the same it would hurt the full plant? (I live in Wisconsin, and the temps today are below zero Fahrenheit. I can wait until June, I suppose, to order.)
  3. What else do I need to know?

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker

Reply to
Ted Shoemaker

Two words - mealy bugs.

Cheryl

Reply to
clc

The mealy bugs, the mealy bugs They are such thugs the mealy bugs Pick them out to drop in jugs Of soapy lye & mealy bugs.

Reply to
paghat

He's asking about growing bananas not going bananas!!!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:13:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) posted:

"Rats"