Growing an Avocoda Tree From Seed

Many years ago when I was a kid I sprouted a avocado pit(seed) using the toothpick in the sides and immersed in water. It was so long ago i can't remmeber how long the plant lasted.

Anybody ever achieved growing a avocado into a small tree?. Will the seeds actually still sprout ?. Most of the fruit in stores nowadays is so far from ripe that I wonder if the seed is developed enough to sprout.

Reply to
Bryan

Small tree? SMALL tree? I did the avocado avec toothpick gig years ago, and casually stuck the resulting plant int the ground, not paying much attention where. It grew into a huge tree, which bore erratically; some years tons, some years just enough to satisfy the (&&^^$$()_^ squirrels, who chewed on the avocados which then fell to the ground and never got ripe.

Dunno about today's avocados. Presumably if you buy really organic ones, you'd have better luck...?

Try it; it couldn't hurt.

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

I used to live in a house that had 2 avocado trees in the yard. When the wind blew hard, I would get a yard full of avocados all over the ground. I started throwing them over the fence into a cane field until my neighbor stopped me. He had me put them up for a few days until they got softer. The little ones actually ripened up and were as good tasting as those that ripened on the tree.

My wife and daughter have both started small trees from seeds. I d>

Reply to
Dwayne

The seed will sprout, and sometimes it turns into a tree. The haas avocados you buy in a grocery store are all grafted clones. Trees grown from seed, produce fruits of unpredictable qualities, which is undesirable for orchards and nurseries. Very few fruits trees are grown from seed these days, they're all grafted clones for consistent texture, size, transportability, flavor, etc.

If you want to sprout a seed, jab 3 toothpicks into the sides, put the button side of the seed into the cup of water, and wait a few days.

Reply to
Koi-lo

Yea nearly every fruit and nut tree is grafted on sturdy root stock.

The top part generally makes bigger and/or greater fruit, but has a weaker root stock on it, so they graft the top good fruit side to the bottom smaller fruit etc. but with a better root stock

If im right.

Reply to
GreenCeed

That's one reason, cost is another, a single tree can produce a few hundred graft stems or buds a year, where it might only produce a few dozen seeds. Again where the fruit/nut from the a plant produced by seed might not have all the desired characteristics.

Also in orchards grafted plants are often shorter, which means the harvest is closer to the ground. There are all kinds of cost and safety benefits associated not having to have people stand on tall ladders.

Reply to
Koi-lo

Will give it a try, not interested in a fruit producing tree as it will be a indoor plant.

Reply to
Bryan

Found an intersting site that has some tips on growing your own avocado tree. As explained in the article don;t expect fruit from a plant grown from seed.

Reply to
Bryan

Maybe avocados were different then?

[...]

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

g'day bryan,

they will grow from seed, if you are only wanting a different probably somewhat plain tree in your garden it could be a good project. if you are hoping for fruit the same quality that the pip came from that is the big unknown for the main most info' indicates that seedlings may bare fruit of such poor qulaity as not to be desirable to eat or never bare fruit at all and in some cases they have been reported to have given good qulaity fruit at times.

they are a large to very large tree.

alos you may have to wait for quiet a long period before you see any fruiting results from seedling it could take 12 years give or take.

if you are wanting quality fruit in shorter time buy a grafted plant, you can have fruit in 5 years or less, i have a tree been 2 years in the ground and about 2 meters high with it's first fruit on it. select the variety that will suit your growing conditions the best.

snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

gardenlen

Reply to
clevermonkey

The article doesn't explain why you shouldn't expect fruit it juist states that you shouldn't.

Providing you live in a climate that allows you to plant it outside in the ground or have a large enough interior or greenhouse there is no reason not to expect fruit. It may not have the size or quality of a commercial variety but it should fruit.

Reply to
Garrapata

It does. While my tree existed, the squirrels even let me have some avocados -- once in a while. They were very good (the avocados, not the squirrels).

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone