Growing an Avocoda Tree From Seed

Many years ago when I was a kid I sprouted a avocado pit(seed) using the toothpick in the sides and immersed in water. It was so long ago i can't remmeber how long the plant lasted.
Anybody ever achieved growing a avocado into a small tree?. Will the seeds actually still sprout ?. Most of the fruit in stores nowadays is so far from ripe that I wonder if the seed is developed enough to sprout.

Small tree? SMALL tree? I did the avocado avec toothpick gig years ago, and casually stuck the resulting plant int the ground, not paying much attention where. It grew into a huge tree, which bore erratically; some years tons, some years just enough to satisfy the (&&^^$$()_^ squirrels, who chewed on the avocados which then fell to the ground and never got ripe.
Dunno about today's avocados. Presumably if you buy really organic ones, you'd have better luck...?
Try it; it couldn't hurt.
Persephone
I used to live in a house that had 2 avocado trees in the yard. When the wind blew hard, I would get a yard full of avocados all over the ground. I started throwing them over the fence into a cane field until my neighbor stopped me. He had me put them up for a few days until they got softer. The little ones actually ripened up and were as good tasting as those that ripened on the tree.
My wife and daughter have both started small trees from seeds. I don't see why you couldn't.
Dwayne <Persephone> wrote in message wrote:

The seed will sprout, and sometimes it turns into a tree. The haas avocados you buy in a grocery store are all grafted clones. Trees grown from seed, produce fruits of unpredictable qualities, which is undesirable for orchards and nurseries. Very few fruits trees are grown from seed these days, they're all grafted clones for consistent texture, size, transportability, flavor, etc.
If you want to sprout a seed, jab 3 toothpicks into the sides, put the button side of the seed into the cup of water, and wait a few days.
Yea nearly every fruit and nut tree is grafted on sturdy root stock.
The top part generally makes bigger and/or greater fruit, but has a weaker root stock on it, so they graft the top good fruit side to the bottom smaller fruit etc. but with a better root stock
If im right.

That's one reason, cost is another, a single tree can produce a few hundred graft stems or buds a year, where it might only produce a few dozen seeds. Again where the fruit/nut from the a plant produced by seed might not have all the desired characteristics.
Also in orchards grafted plants are often shorter, which means the harvest is closer to the ground. There are all kinds of cost and safety benefits associated not having to have people stand on tall ladders.
Will give it a try, not interested in a fruit producing tree as it will be a indoor plant.

Found an intersting site that has some tips on growing your own avocado tree. As explained in the article don;t expect fruit from a plant grown from seed.
http://www.avocado.org/about/2000_24.php?sd out

Whatever...but I did it. Tree yielded (sporadically) for years. Maybe avocados were different then?
[...]
Persephone

The article doesn't explain why you shouldn't expect fruit it juist states that you shouldn't.
Providing you live in a climate that allows you to plant it outside in the ground or have a large enough interior or greenhouse there is no reason not to expect fruit. It may not have the size or quality of a commercial variety but it should fruit.
--
09=ix

It does. While my tree existed, the squirrels even let me have some avocados -- once in a while. They were very good (the avocados, not the squirrels).
Persephone
--
A Remarkable coincidence!
This year, both Groundhog Day and the