growing a walnut tree

The farmer's market I sell at has one farmer who collects black walnuts and shells them in front of the fireplace in the winter and then sells then for $6 a pint in the summer. (I picked them up this year but will probably end up giving them to the squirrels.)

Kate

Reply to
kate

presley

Commercial English Walnut plants are proprietary, but some have been described in the literature. For example:

Common English walnut hybrids = Juglans hindsii x Juglans regia

Paradox (disease resistant) = Northern California black (Juglans hindsii) x English walnut hybrids (Juglans hindsii x Juglans regia)

In any case they use several varieties because best production is achieved by cross-pollination.

By the way Butternut, also known as "white walnut" is the hardiest of the walnuts, withstanding lows near -50° F ("warm" end of zone 2).

Reply to
Stephen Henning