growing a walnut tree

Page 2 of 2

Commercial English Walnut plants are proprietary, but some have been described in the literature. For example:
Common English walnut hybrids = Juglans hindsii x Juglans regia
Paradox (disease resistant) = Northern California black (Juglans hindsii) x English walnut hybrids (Juglans hindsii x Juglans regia)
In any case they use several varieties because best production is achieved by cross-pollination.
By the way Butternut, also known as "white walnut" is the hardiest of the walnuts, withstanding lows near -50 F ("warm" end of zone 2).
I live in a rural area so no problem there ticking off the neighbors with a messy tree.
--
:) Lynn

"Honeybee" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I have 2 English walnuts (northern Delaware), about 20 years old, and never get nuts. They fall before mature and squirrels eat when immature. I've tried spraying and wrapping with squirrel deterents to no avail. Squirrels will jump maybe 10 ft between trees. Sorry I grew them. Frank