Grow Lights

I'm in the market for a few good grow lights for orchids, houseplants, and my succulents. I know little or nothing about these lights, does anyone have any recommendations on an inexpensive easy to use light? I need something simple to set up and portable since I tend to move my plants around a good bit.

Can I just use regular light fixtures or lamps and buy special bulbs or do I need to get a special light of some kind?

Any and all help is appreciated

Shell

Reply to
Shell91

I use plain ol' 25 watt flouresant shop lights for my indoor seedlings and plants. The fixtures are about ten bucks apiece, and the lamps are around a buck apiece. Of course, one can spend a whole lot more, but why?

Regards, Bill

Reply to
Bill Litchfield

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Great :) Thanks

Shell

Reply to
Shell91

Great :) I have a couple of old floor lamps and a desk lamp or two I can use

Thanks Shell

Reply to
Shell91

Hi, Be aware that there are 'shop light' flourecents available in most garden and home center stores with a 'warmer' spectrum. I have two fixtures that each hold two lamps. In each fixture, I use one of each type of the regular flourecents mixed with one of the warmer spectrum. My feeling is that the seedlings will benefit more from the wider spectrums of both types. If anyone has thoughts to the contrary, I would like to hear about it.

Sherw>

Reply to
Sherwin Dubren

chlorophyll needs two parts of the spectra, mostly in the blue and a bit in the red. the rest doesnt contribute to photosynthesis. Ingrid