Grow ginger from "root"

As a card-carrying ginger freak, I have decided to try & grow plants from pieces of the ginger "root" sold in markets. (It's not really a root.)

Checking on-line I found contradictory sets of instructions for rooting these babies. I guess I could experiment with 'n' pieces planted one way and 'n*1' another way.

Just wondering if anybody has had experience growing ginger.

I'm in Zone 8, So Calif coastal. "Mediterranean" climate, one mile from the sea.

Your input appreciated.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

No, you need the warmth and the light in spring and autumn so a removable sun shade for the hottest days is better.

Quicker to dry out and you don't need the drainage. Just plant in the ground.

David Hare-Scott

I was taking worms from one worm infested compost heap to innoculate another heap the other day and came across a ginger rhizome that had sprouted a shoot in the worm rich environment. I've potted it up and will tell you how it goes in about 18 months if it grows according to plan.

Reply to
Farm1