Groundnut vine - how do I get rid of it.

While it is not a weed in the truest since (as it is a food crop and supposedly a native), it can't grow up and around the wires coming into the house? It's not a good place to dig - the feed for the electric is of the things it is growing up and into the meter box...
I'll do chemicals but only the mildest...