Groundhogs

Groundhogs have discovered a memorial garden planted on a golf course. They have eaten their fill! They have NOT eaten hellebores, ornamental grasses, or some ferns. What can I plant safely? Low maintenance is a must. Thanks, Carolyn
Carolyn LeCrone wrote:

Groundhog's a little tougher but tastes like chicken ;) Frank

Castor beans are good for getting rid of moles, so maybe they would work for groundhogs too. I don't know, but the seeds are poisonous, but the plants are cool. I planted some this year just for the foliage and they look so nice....everyone that drives by when I'm outside stops and wants to know what they are and were to get the seed. So give it a try, maybe it'll work for you, if not, you'll still have some pretty foliage. barb

Just a guess how about Hosta or Day Lilies ? Groundhogs have discovered our food garden this year too .
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

More hellebores, ornamental grasses & ferns.
I've trapped and re-located four since April.
They made quick work of the cukes and pansies. They crossed the line when they started in on my tomatoes, so a few Hav-A-Hart traps and a 10-mile car ride worked wonders.

Before putting up a fence, I was making fence wire cages placed over some crops, secured with bricks. Worked nicely.
AlanG wrote:

Been there, done that. Now I have racoon problems.
I think they moved into the old groundhog dens.

Attract some coyotes ;->
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Carolyn LeCrone wrote:

Try some herbs. I have planted Tyme, Tarragon, Lavender, Oregano and Sage and they haven't even nibbled on these.
Thanks for the suggestions! Carolyn

Carolyn LeCrone wrote:

Fishers.
snipped-for-privacy@intel.com says...

Groundhogs are best removed with a 300Win Mag or a .223 from 100 yards.
--

Leythos