Groundhogs

Groundhogs have discovered a memorial garden planted on a golf course. They have eaten their fill! They have NOT eaten hellebores, ornamental grasses, or some ferns. What can I plant safely? Low maintenance is a must. Thanks, Carolyn

Reply to
Carolyn LeCrone

Groundhog's a little tougher but tastes like chicken ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank

Just a guess how about Hosta or Day Lilies ? Groundhogs have discovered our food garden this year too .

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

More hellebores, ornamental grasses & ferns.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I've trapped and re-located four since April.

They made quick work of the cukes and pansies. They crossed the line when they started in on my tomatoes, so a few Hav-A-Hart traps and a 10-mile car ride worked wonders.

Reply to
AlanG

Before putting up a fence, I was making fence wire cages placed over some crops, secured with bricks. Worked nicely.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"Carolyn LeCrone" expounded:

Attract some coyotes ;->

Reply to
Ann

Been there, done that. Now I have racoon problems.

I think they moved into the old groundhog dens.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

Try some herbs. I have planted Tyme, Tarragon, Lavender, Oregano and Sage and they haven't even nibbled on these.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

Castor beans are good for getting rid of moles, so maybe they would work for groundhogs too. I don't know, but the seeds are poisonous, but the plants are cool. I planted some this year just for the foliage and they look so nice....everyone that drives by when I'm outside stops and wants to know what they are and were to get the seed. So give it a try, maybe it'll work for you, if not, you'll still have some pretty foliage. barb

Reply to
barb

Reply to
Carolyn LeCrone

Fishers.

Reply to
lance.d.bresee

Groundhogs are best removed with a 300Win Mag or a .223 from 100 yards.

Reply to
Leythos