groundcovers

I am a very non-gardener. But, I need a groundcover to cover an area about 400sq ft. I live in eastern PA. the area is a somewhat sloped and is partial shade. I want something inexpensive that grows, spreads quickly. OK if it is invasive. I want it to choke out weeds. prefer something that is not too high, say 6" or so. Also, is it too late to plant it now (mid Oct)?
thanks
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'd recommend DWARF varieties of hedera helix. The "needlepoint" variety spreads quickly, not "invasive" in terms of spreading to the woods & injuring the invironment, but very aggressive where planted, & easily out-competes weeds. But if you can be a little more patient try some VARIEGATED dwarf varieties, those those with white or gold or silver in the leaves. They take longer to fill in spots but eventually they do it, & the variegations add a feeling of light even in shady spots.
-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com.html

Lamium "Beacon Silver" will do the trick. Works nicely in Western NY, so your climate won't present any problems. Spreads quickly, but easy to pull if it travels to spots where you don't want it.
In this picture, it looks more like a mound than a ground cover, but we don't know what's underneath the plant: http://www.stauder.net/bildearkiv/Lamium%20maculatum%20 'Beacon%20Silver'%20RS.jpg
It's the light colored patch near the bottom.
Pachysandra will also work, but it spreads more slowly.
Another possibility is ajuga, but it might be too invasive for you. Spreads fairly rapidly and takes no prisoners. http://tinyurl.com/4xb9k
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

JSB, you're in the Rochester NY area, right?
That's not Western NY, honey. That's the Finger Lakes Region!
There is a difference between the two in weather patterns and heat domes.
I know WNY. I spent far too much of my life in Chautauqua County.
<I miss Rachacha, though>
On 10/17/07 10:05 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.com, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Euphorbia cyparissias Cypress Spurge - does well here in NH. Does reseed some and doesn't seem mind sun or shade. Mine is one a hill. Cheryl

Do deer mess with it, or don't you have those monsters in your neighborhood?
On 10/18/07 9:17 AM, in article V1JRi.19338$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny,

i can ferry it over. i'll be in Rochester turkey weekend. i may be out there earlier if a certain real estate guy gets his act together & sets up an appointment (263 acres, 1 mile river frontage, 4 bed/2.5 bath house, barn. yeah!) lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be

Which river?

Black River. yeah, Tug Hill plateau. i like snow :) that house is a bit less than 2 hours to Rochester. close, but far enough to keep the relatives from just 'popping in' ...
lee

Nice area.

I might. First, I need to do a bit of research about how much dryness and acidity it'll put up with. I'm looking for something to grow under a pine tree, a miserable environment. It can rain for 3 days straight and under that tree, it'll still be just damp.
On 10/18/07 1:21 PM, in article 9CMRi.19359$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny,

It works on a sandy slope and it is growing around some scrub juniper.....